Duboys History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Duboys is a ancient French name from Brittany (French: Bretagne). It was a name given to a person who was a boissel, a person who measured corn in the market or someone who made bushel baskets for corn. It is important to realize that wheat was called corn in the medieval period, therefore a boissel would have been working with grain, not maize.
Early Origins of the Duboys family
The surname Duboys was first found in Auvergne and Bas- Limousin where they are recorded as an ancient family with lands and estates.
René Dubois, born in 1630, travelled from Poitou, France to Quebec in the 17th century. Along with his wife, Anne-Julienne (née Dumont), they completed their home in Quebec on 25th November 1665. Together they had eight children and now have ancestors all throughout Canada. 
Important Dates for the Duboys family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duboys research. Another 227 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1290, 1346, 1447, 1529, 1584, 1604, 1694, 1638, 1694, 1656 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Duboys History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duboys Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dubois, du Bois, Duboie, Duboi, Duboy, Duboys, Duboit, Dubbois, Dubboie, Dubboi, Dubboy, Dubboys, Dubboit and many more.
Early Notables of the Duboys family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family was François Dubois (1529-1584), a French Huguenot painter; Jean Dubois the Elder (1604-1694), the French landscape painter and painter to the king; Jean-Baptiste Boisot (1638-1694), (Abbé...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Duboys Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duboys migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Duboys Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Jacques Duboys, who arrived in Canada in 1664
Contemporary Notables of the name Duboys (post 1700)
- Lewis Duboys, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Dutchess County, 1785-87 
- Cyrus H. DuBoys, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 19th District, 1922 
You May Also Like
- ^ Olivier, Reginald L. Your Ancient Canadian Family Ties. Logan: The Everton Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 368, 1972. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html