100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Irish
Where did the Irish Derry family come from? What is the Irish Derry family crest and coat of arms? When did the Derry family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Derry family history?The surname Derry can come from both the original Irish surnames O Daighre and O Doireidh. The names Derry and Deery are used synonymously, but originally the name Derry came from O Doireidh, and Deery from O Daighre.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Derry, Deery, O'Derry, O'Deery, O'Diera, O'Deary and many more.
First found in north-west Ulster (Irish: Ulaidh), where the O Daighre were the erenagh family of Derry Church and the O Doireidh were the erenagh family of nearby Donaghmore in the diocese of Raphoe in Donegal. In 1609, the O Doireidh family were listed as erenagh of Columbkil, where in the 13th century Maeliosa O Dioreidh was bishop.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Derry research. Another 391 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1574, 1576, 1609, 1663, 1666, 1671, 1801, 1820, 1847, and 1870 are included under the topic Early Derry History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 33 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Derry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Derry Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robt Derry, who arrived in Virginia in 1634
- Orsell Derry, who landed in Virginia in 1656
Derry Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Derry, who landed in America in 1764
Derry Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Valentine Derry settled in New York in 1808
- Valentine Derry, who arrived in New York in 1809
- John Derry, aged 48, arrived in New York in 1812
Derry Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. London Derry U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1786
Derry Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Nancy Derry, who immigrated to St. John, New Brunswick in 1833
- John Derry, who settled in St. John, New Brunswick in 1834
Derry Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Fanny Derry, aged 30, a servant, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "John Wickliffe" in 1848
- Elias Derry arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Empress" in 1865
- Evens Derry arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "City of Auckland" in 1870
- Charles Derry, aged 29, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Camperdown" in 1876
- Susan Derry, aged 27, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Camperdown" in 1876
- Alva Russell Derry (1916-2004), American Major League Baseball outfielder
- Shaun Derry (b. 1977), English professional footballer
- Duncan Ramsay Derry (b. 1906), Canadian geologist
- John Douglas Derry DFC (1921-1952), British test pilot, the first Briton to exceed the speed of sound
- Spencer John Derry (b. 1974), British artist
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
The Derry Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Derry Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 15:24.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!