100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German, Irish
The surname Derry can come from both the original Irish surnames O Daighre and O Doireidh. The names Derry and Deery are used synonymously, but originally the name Derry came from O Doireidh, and Deery from O Daighre.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Derry, Deery, O'Derry, O'Deery, O'Diera, O'Deary and many more.
First found in north-west Ulster (Irish: Ulaidh), where the O Daighre were the erenagh family of Derry Church and the O Doireidh were the erenagh family of nearby Donaghmore in the diocese of Raphoe in Donegal. In 1609, the O Doireidh family were listed as erenagh of Columbkil, where in the 13th century Maeliosa O Dioreidh was bishop.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Derry research. Another 391 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1574, 1576, 1609, 1663, 1666, 1671, 1801, 1820, 1847, and 1870 are included under the topic Early Derry History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Derry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Derry Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robt Derry, who arrived in Virginia in 1634
- Orsell Derry, who landed in Virginia in 1656
Derry Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Derry, who landed in America in 1764
Derry Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Valentine Derry settled in New York in 1808
- Valentine Derry, who arrived in New York in 1809
- John Derry, aged 48, arrived in New York in 1812
Derry Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. London Derry U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1786
Derry Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Nancy Derry, who immigrated to St. John, New Brunswick in 1833
- John Derry, who settled in St. John, New Brunswick in 1834
Derry Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Fanny Derry, aged 30, a servant, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "John Wickliffe" in 1848
- Elias Derry arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Empress" in 1865
- Evens Derry arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "City of Auckland" in 1870
- Charles Derry, aged 29, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Camperdown" in 1876
- Susan Derry, aged 27, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Camperdown" in 1876
- Alva Russell Derry (1916-2004), American Major League Baseball outfielder
- Spencer John Derry (b. 1974), British artist
- John Douglas Derry DFC (1921-1952), British test pilot, the first Briton to exceed the speed of sound
- Duncan Ramsay Derry (b. 1906), Canadian geologist
- Shaun Derry (b. 1977), English professional footballer
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
The Derry Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Derry Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 October 2015 at 12:43.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!