100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Cuomo is thought to be a local
name; that is, a surname derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signified emigration from one place to another, but did not necessarily denote nobility. The Cuomo family most likely took on this surname from the city of Como, in Lombardy
. The name Como is also thought to have been a shortened form of the name Giacomo, the Italian equivalent to James.
The surname Cuomo was first found in at Como, a city and comune in Lombardy
, Italy, the administrative capital of the Province of Como. It was originally a Roman colony, was home to Bishop Saint Felix of Como (d. ca. 390 AD,) and later became an independent commune. The first of the name on record appears to be Elia Como of Padua province, who was the mayor of Castelbardo in 1489.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Como, Comi, Comello, Comelli, Comèl, Comellini, Comelini, Comellato, Comiti, Comitti, Comici, Cominazzo, Cuomo, Cometto, Cometti, Comino, Comini, Comotti, Comolli and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cuomo research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1601, 1507, 1550, 1606 and 1750 are included under the topic Early Cuomo History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 167 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cuomo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cuomo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rocco Cuomo, age 31, who came to New York on Jan. 12, 1884, aboard the "Indipendente"
- Filomena Cuomo, age 30, who arrived in New York on June 11, 1886, aboard the "Indipendente"
Cuomo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adelaide Cuomo, aged 29, who landed in America from Napoli, in 1902
- Adolfo Cuomo, aged 14, who landed in America from Lettere, Napoli, in 1906
- Alfonso Cuomo, aged 19, who landed in America from Nocera Infre, Italy, in 1906
- Aniello Cuomo, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States from Lettere, Italy, in 1907
- Adelina Cuomo, aged 21, who settled in America from Agerola, Napoli, in 1907
- Mario Matthew Cuomo (1932-2015), American public official, 52nd Governor of New York (1983-1995)
- Gennaro "Jerry" Cuomo (b. 1962), American software engineer working for IBM since 1987, appointed the title of IBM Fellow who has filed for over 40 US patents
- Douglas J. Cuomo (b. 1958), American composer
- Rivers Cuomo (b. 1970), American musician
- Christopher "Chris" Cuomo (b. 1970), American television journalist, ABC News co-anchor for 20/20, son of Mario Cuomo
- Andrew Mark Cuomo (b. 1957), American politician, 56th Governor of New York State, son of Mario Cuomo
- Mario Matthew Cuomo (b. 1932), American Democrat politician, Secretary of State of New York, 1975-78; Lieutenant Governor of New York, 1979-82; Governor of New York, 1983-94; Defeated, 1994
- Andrew Mark Cuomo (b. 1957), American Democrat politician, U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, 1997-2001; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 2008; Governor of New York, 2011-
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Gheno, Antonio. Contributo alla Bibliografia Genealogica Italiana. Bologna: Forni, 1924. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, Goffredo. Enciclopedia araldico cavalleresca Prontuario nobiliare. Pisa: Presso La Direzione Del Giorale Araldica , 1878. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2015 at 09:35.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!