Cumine History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Cumine comes from the old Irish Gaelic surname O Coimín, and has come to have many different English variants. The Gaelic name also appeared as O Comáin, especially in Munster.
Early Origins of the Cumine family
The surname Cumine was first found in Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where the family were "erenaghs" (Administrators) of the church of St. Cuimín Fada. It is said that in the 6th century, St. Common, a pupil of St. Finian was a missionary in Connacht, founding a monastery in Roscommon. The parish of Kilcummin on the western side of the Bay of Killala is named after a family of this name.
Important Dates for the Cumine family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cumine research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1182, 1213, 1264, 1688, 1703, 1704, 1760, and 1786 are included under the topic Early Cumine History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cumine Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cummins, Comines, Cummings, Comine, Cummin, Comyn, Cumming, Cummine, Cuming, Cumine, Cumyn, Cummyn, Commyn and many more.
Early Notables of the Cumine family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cumine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cumine migration to New Zealand
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Cumine Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William T. Cumine, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Persia" in 1860
- Mr. William Cumine, Scottish settler travelling from Glasgow aboard the ship "Storm Cloud" arriving in Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 30th July 1861 
- Mr. Frank Cumine, Scottish settler travelling from Glasgow aboard the ship "Storm Cloud" arriving in Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 30th July 1861 
Contemporary Notables of the name Cumine (post 1700)
- Major Sir George Cumine Strahan KCMG (1838-1887), British military officer and colonial administrator, Governor of Tasmania (1881 to 1886)
You May Also Like
- ^ New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 26th March 2019). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html