on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Cooley family come from? What is the Irish Cooley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cooley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cooley family history?Irish names tend to vary widely in their spelling and overall form. The original Gaelic form of the name Cooley is Mac Giolla Chuille. Cuille has been suggested to be an abbreviation of Mochuille, the name of a saint. However, other origins also exist for this name.
Over the years, Cooley has been written It appears under these variations because medieval scribes spelled names according to sound rather than by any over-arching set of rules. Cooley, Cooling, Cowley, Cully, Colly, McCooley, Coaley, Coolyng, Couley, Colley, McCowley, Cooleng, McCoolay, Coolay, Collay, Cullay, Cowleigh, Culleigh and many more.
First found in Ulster (Irish: Ulaidh), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cooley research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1618, 1667, 1743, and 1809 are included under the topic Early Cooley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cooley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
When these Boernician-Scottish settlers arrived in North America they brought little with them and often had restart their lives from scratch. Through time, much of their heritage was lost, and it is only this century through Clan societies and highland games that many have recovered their national heritage. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Cooley family to immigrate North America:
Cooley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Cooley, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1631
- William Cooley, being a mariner of New London in 1634
- John Cooley settled at Salem, Massachusetts, in the year 1638
- Benjamin Cooley, who arrived in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1646
- Peter Cooley was a freeman of Fairfield, Connecticut, in 1664
Cooley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Cooley settled in Maryland in 1774
- Peter Cooley settled in Virginia in 1774
Cooley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M Cooley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Adam, Charles, Elizabeth, John B., Joseph and Thomas Cooley, all settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1773 and 1856
- Edward Cooley, who landed in Colorado in 1885
- Annie Cooley, aged 19, who arrived in America from Ireland, in 1892
Cooley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Annie Cooley, aged 22, who arrived in America from Liverpool, in 1900
- Catherine Cooley, aged 4, who arrived in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Frank L. Cooley, aged 32, who arrived in America, in 1905
- Carrie M. Cooley, aged 18, who arrived in America, in 1908
- Arthur J. Cooley, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1908
Cooley Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Preserved Cooley U.E who settled in Canada c. 1783
Cooley Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Cooley, who landed in Canada in 1830
- Hugh Cooley, who arrived in Canada in 1831
- Peter Cooley, who arrived in Canada in 1836
- Martin Cooley settled in Canada in 1839
Cooley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Cooley, aged 39, a labourer, arrived in Bluff, New Zealand aboard the ship "Christian McAusland" in 1875
- Campbell Cooley (b. 1966), American actor and voice artist, known for his work on the Power Rangers
- Hallam Cooley (1895-1971), American actor of the silent era who appeared in 106 films between 1913 and 1936
- Ed Cooley (b. 1969), American college basketball coach
- Wester Shadric "Wes" Cooley (b. 1932), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Oregon (1995-1997)
- William Cooley (1783-1863), early American settler, and a regional leader, in what is now known as Broward County; his family was killed by Seminoles in 1836, during the Second Seminole War
- Duff Gordon "Sir Richard" Cooley (1873-1937), American Major League Baseball outfielder who played from 1893 to 1905
- James William Cooley (b. 1926), American mathematician, awarded a fellowship of IEEE for his work
- Robert Allen Cooley (1873-1968), American entomologist
- Ken William Cooley (b. 1955), American politician, Member of the California State Assembly (2012-)
- Thomas McIntyre Cooley LL.D. (1824-1898), American jurist, the 25th Justice and a Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court
- My Cooley-Walters Ancestry from Fairchance, Pennsylvania, and Surrounding Areas by Kathryn Mercedes Cooley Miller.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Cooley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cooley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 October 2015 at 15:51.
on orders of $85 or more