on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Chastain family come from? What is the French Chastain family crest and coat of arms? When did the Chastain family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Chastain family history?The prestigious surname Chastain originated in the beautiful and majestic region of Poitou in France. France was notorious for its eccentric kings, but it was revered for its contributions to European art and culture. The surname Chastain originally came from the region of Poitou. It is a topographical name, which is a type of hereditary surname. Topographical surnames were taken from physical features or landmarks that the family lived near.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Chastain, Chastin, Chastaing, Chastaignier, Chastainier, Chastagnier, Chastang, Chastand, Chastant, Chastan, Châtain, Châtin, Châtaing, Châtaignier, Châteignier, Châtainier, Châtand, Châtan, Chataignon and many more.
First found in Poitou, where the family held a family seat since early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chastain research. Another 215 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1068, 1776, 1780, and 1825 are included under the topic Early Chastain History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 24 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Chastain Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Chastain Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Pierre Chastain, who arrived in Virginia in 1700 with his wife and his five children
- Estienne Chastain, who arrived in Virginia in 1700
- Pierre Chastain, who landed in Jamestown, Va in 1700
- Estienne Chastain, who settled in Louisiana in 1704
- Jean Chastain, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Ross Chastain (b. 1992), American stock car racing driver
- Jane Chastain (b. 1943), American former nationally known sports announcer
- Nicholas Joseph "Nick" Chastain (b. 1981), American actor, known for his role in The Young and the Restless (2004-2006)
- Elijah Webb Chastain (1813-1874), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Georgia (1851-1855)
- Jessica Chastain (b. 1977), American Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, BAFTA and Academy Award nominated actress
- Cameron Chastain (b. 1986), American soccer player
- Thomas Chastain (1921-1994), American author of crime fiction
- David T. Chastain (b. 1963), American guitarist and owner of Leviathan Records and Diginet Music
- Brandi Chastain (b. 1968), American Olympian soccer player, winner of the gold medal in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games
- Don Chastain (1935-2002), American Broadway and television actor
- Chastain Kith and Kin, 1700-1980 by Mary Avilla Abel Hall Farnsworth.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
The Chastain Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Chastain Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 September 2015 at 12:19.
on orders of $85 or more