100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Spelling variations of this family name include: Burch, Burche, Burches, Burchs, Burchh, Burcch, Burrch, Burrche, Burrchs, Burrches, van Burch and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burch research. Another 270 words (19 lines of text) covering the year 1816 is included under the topic Early Burch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Burch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burch Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Willm Burch, aged 19, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Jon Burch, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Thomas Burch, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
- William Burch, who landed in Maryland in 1674
Burch Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Burch, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- Carl Lud Burch, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1794
- Washington Burch, who arrived in Mississippi in 1799
Burch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Gustavus Burch, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- James Burch, aged 20, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1846
- M S Burch, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Matthew Burch, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
Burch Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- David Burch, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Esq. John Burch U.E who settled in Home District, [Niagara], Lincoln County, Ontario c. 1783
- Mrs. Martha Burch U.E who settled in Home District, [Niagara], Lincoln County, Ontario c. 1783
Burch Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Burch, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Burch Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Burch, aged 39, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "China"
Burch Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Frederick Burch arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1870
- Amos Burch, aged 24, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Caleb Burch, aged 21, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Wairoa" in 1877
- Tory Burch (b. 1966), American fashion designer, business woman and philanthropist
- Michael Ray Burch (b. 1958), American poet
- Lucius Edward Burch Jr. (1912-1996), American attorney based in Memphis
- Marc Burch (b. 1984), American soccer player
- Laurel Burch (1945-2007), American artist, designer and businesswoman
- John Chilton Burch (1826-1885), American politician, California Democratic politician and United States Congressman,Secretary of the United States Senate (1879 to 1881)
- John Bayard Burch (b. 1929), American zoologist
- George Edward Burch (1910-1986), American cardiologist
- Claire Burch (1925-2009), American author, filmmaker and poet
- Harry "Billy" Wilfred Burch (1900-1950), American professional ice hockey forward, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1974
- History of the Burch Family of Kentucky by Frank Eugene Toon.
- Record of the Ancestors and Descendants of Nathan Burch (1781-1858) and Damaris Babcock (1783-1869) of Brookfield, Madison County, New York by Harold John Witter.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Burch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 March 2016 at 11:05.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!