on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the Dutch Burch family come from? What is the Dutch Burch family crest and coat of arms? When did the Burch family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Burch family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Burch, Burche, Burches, Burchs, Burchh, Burcch, Burrch, Burrche, Burrchs, Burrches, van Burch and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burch research. Another 270 words(19 lines of text) covering the year 1816 is included under the topic Early Burch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Burch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burch Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Willm Burch, aged 19, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Jon Burch, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Thomas Burch, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
- William Burch, who landed in Maryland in 1674
Burch Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Burch, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- Carl Lud Burch, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1794
- Washington Burch, who arrived in Mississippi in 1799
Burch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Gustavus Burch, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- James Burch, aged 20, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1846
- M S Burch, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Matthew Burch, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
Burch Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- David Burch, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Esq. John Burch U.E who settled in Home District, [Niagara], Lincoln County, Ontario c. 1783
- Mrs. Martha Burch U.E who settled in Home District, [Niagara], Lincoln County, Ontario c. 1783
Burch Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Burch, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Burch Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Burch, aged 39, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "China"
Burch Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Frederick Burch arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1870
- Amos Burch, aged 24, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Caleb Burch, aged 21, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Wairoa" in 1877
- William Burch (1900-1950), American professional ice hockey forward
- Robert L Burch Jr., American politician
- Edward Burch (b. 1968), American musician and journalist
- Benjamin Franklin Burch (1825-1893), American farmer, soldier, and politician in what would become Oregon
- Harry "Billy" Wilfred Burch (1900-1950), American professional ice hockey forward, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1974
- Claire Burch (1925-2009), American author, filmmaker and poet
- George Edward Burch (1910-1986), American cardiologist
- John Bayard Burch (b. 1929), American zoologist
- John Chilton Burch (1826-1885), American politician, California Democratic politician and United States Congressman,Secretary of the United States Senate (1879 to 1881)
- Laurel Burch (1945-2007), American artist, designer and businesswoman
- History of the Burch Family of Kentucky by Frank Eugene Toon.
- Record of the Ancestors and Descendants of Nathan Burch (1781-1858) and Damaris Babcock (1783-1869) of Brookfield, Madison County, New York by Harold John Witter.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Swierenga, Robert P. Compiler Dutch Emigrant to the United State, South Africa, South America and Southeast Asia 1835-1880 An Alphabetical Listing by Househould Heads and Independent Persons. Wilmington, DE: Scholary Resources, 1983. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- De Amicis, Edmondo and Helen Zimmern. Holland. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1894. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Burch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more