on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Bannon family come from? What is the English Bannon family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bannon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bannon family history?The Anglo-Saxons of Britain first developed the name Bannon. It was a name given to someone who was a person who was a slayer of men in battle. The name means warrior or solider.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Bannon have been found, including Banning, Baning, Bannin and others.
First found in London, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bannon research. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 189 and are included under the topic Early Bannon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bannon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bannon family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Bannon, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were:
Bannon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Owen Bannon, who was a forced emigrant, arriving in America in 1737
Bannon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michl Bannon, aged 23, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Ann Bannon, who arrived at the port of New York in 1805
- Patk Bannon, who landed in America in 1805
- Ann Bannon, who landed in America in 1805
- Peter Bannon, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
Bannon Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. James Bannon U.E who arrived in Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on December 13, 1783 was passenger number 359 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on November 14, 1783 off East River, New York
- Mrs. Elizabeth Bannon who arrived in Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on December 13, 1783 was passenger number 509 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on November 14, 1783 off East River, New York
- Miss Sarah Bannon (b. 1769), aged 14 who arrived in Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on December 13, 1783 was passenger number 547 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on November 14, 1783 off East River, New York
Bannon Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Bannon, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Breeze" from Dublin
Bannon Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Bannon, aged 19, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Europa"
- Patrick Bannon, aged 32, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Victoria Regia"
Bannon Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Stephen Bannon, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hudson" in 1879
- Jack Bannon (b. 1940), American actor
- Jim Bannon (1911-1984), American radio and film actor
- Chad Bannon (b. 1970), American television and film actor
- Bruce Bannon (b. 1951), American professional NFL football player
- Mr. John Joseph Bannon (d. 1912), aged 32, English Greaser from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- John Bannon (b. 1943), Australian politician and academic
- James Bannon (b. 1959), Irish politician, farmer, and auctioneer
- Gary Bannon, British actor, poet, and comedian
- Eamonn Bannon (b. 1958), Scottish footballer
- Brian Bannon, Australian politician from New South Wales
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
The Bannon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bannon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:15.
on orders of $85 or more