Zweifel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German state of Bavaria is the ancestral home of the Zweifel family. Zweifel is a local name, first used as a surname for someone who lived in Bavaria. The Zweifel family resided on a vast feudal estate in an elegant manor. They also became involved in the political and economic affairs of Bavaria and acquired a distinguished reputation for their contributions to German society.
Early Origins of the Zweifel family
The surname Zweifel was first found in Bavaria, where the name Zweifel made a great early contribution to the feudal society of early Europe. The name Zweifel became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
Early History of the Zweifel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zweifel research. Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zweifel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zweifel Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Zweifel include Zweifel, Zweiffel, Zweifeln, Zwiefel, Zwibel, Swibel, Zwiebler and many more.
Early Notables of the Zweifel family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Zweifel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Zweifel migration to the United States ||+|
European migration to North America began in the mid-17th century and continued unabated until the mid-20th. Many Bavarians made the long trip to escape poverty or persecution based on their religious beliefs. The chance for tenant farmers to own their own land was also a major drawing card. They settled all across the United States in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Many came to Canada also, settling in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Analysis of immigration records has shown some of the first Zweifels to arrive in North America, and among them were:
Zweifel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Zweifel, who settled in Philadelphia in 1874
- Alois Zweifel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1877
- Babetta Zweifel, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1896
- Feliz Zweifel, aged 58, who immigrated to the United States from Langman, in 1898
- Bernhard Zweifel, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States from Glarus, in 1899
Zweifel Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Zweifel, aged 27, who landed in America from Lenzburg, Switzerland, in 1907
- Anna Zweifel, aged 47, who settled in America, in 1908
- Carolina Zweifel, aged 19, who settled in America from Zurich, Switzerland, in 1916
- Albrecht Zweifel, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Schiers, Germany, in 1921
|Contemporary Notables of the name Zweifel (post 1700) ||+|
- Henry Zweifel, American Republican politician, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas, 1921-27; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 1928, 1944 
- David Eugene Zweifel (b. 1934), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Yemen, 1981-84 
- Clint Zweifel, American Democratic Party politician, Missouri State Treasurer; Elected 2012 
- Dr. Thomas David Zweifel (b. 1962), French-born leadership professor, entrepreneur, and author