100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The roots of the distinguished surname Zastrow lie on the Baltic coast of Pomerania. The name is derived from "Zastrow," the name of a city in Pomerania, and was most likely originally borne by a resident of the city.
The surname Zastrow was first found in Pomerania, where it is believed to have emerged. During the Middle Ages, it was common practice for a new resident of a town to be identified by the name of his native city; thus, Zastrow may have been initially borne as a surname by someone who had migrated from Zastrow to another city. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Conradus de Zasterow, who lived in Greifswald in 1270.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Zastrow, Zasterow, von Zastrow and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zastrow research. Another 172 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1594 and 1636 are included under the topic Early Zastrow History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zastrow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Zastrow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Martin Friedrich Zastrow and his wife Dorothea
- Gottlieb Friedrich Zastrow, aged 48, landed in America in 1845-1846
- Martin Friedrich Zastrow, aged 42, landed in America in 1845
- Wilhelmine Zastrow, aged 36, arrived in America in 1845
- Karl Friedrich Zastrow, aged 37, arrived in America in 1846
Zastrow Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Gottlieb Zastrow, who immigrated to Québec in 1851
- Charles Harold Zastrow (b. 1942), American social scientist, Professor of Social Work at the George Williams College of the Aurora University
- Paul Zastrow, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 2000
- Lawrence J. Zastrow, American politician, Justice of South Dakota State Supreme Court 1st District, 1976-79
- Jeff Zastrow, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 3rd District, 2002
- Holger Zastrow (b. 1969), German politician of the liberal Free Democratic Party of Germany
- Alexander Friedrich Adolf Heinrich von Zastrow (1801-1875), Prussian general in the Austro-Prussian War and the Franco-German War, son of Alexander Heinrich Gebhard von Zastrow
- Mitja Kolia Zastrow (b. 1977), German-born Dutch swimmer and Olympic medalist
- Charlotte Zastrow (1877-1946), well-known German writer
- Colonel Alexander Heinrich Gebhard von Zastrow (1768-1815), Prussian officer during the Napoleonic Wars
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Zastrow Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Zastrow Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 14:33.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!