Early Origins of the Zappa family
The surname Zappa was first found in Mantua, anciently Mantova, a fortified city of Lombardy
, capital of the province of Mantua. In 568 the Lombards took Mantua, lost it and recovered in 601. It passed to the Norman Geoffry, Duke of Lorraine
in the 11th century but afterwards reverted to the Lombard League. Frederico II was first Duke of Mantua. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Zappa family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zappa research.Another 104 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zappa History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zappa Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Zappa, Zappi, Zappelli, Zappetti, Zappetta, Zappoli, Zappuli, Zappalia, Zapa, Zapi, Zappas and many more.
Early Notables of the Zappa family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Zappa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Zappa family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Zappa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Vincenzo Zappa, who arrived in Ashtabula Co. Ohio sometime between 1875 and 1906
Contemporary Notables of the name Zappa (post 1700)
- Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa (b. 1974), American musician, son of Frank Zappa, known for The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012), Jack Frost (1998) and Pump Up the Volume (1990)
- Adelaide Gail Zappa (1945-2015), née Sloatman, American widow of musician and composer Frank Zappa, mother of Moon Zappa
- Frank Zappa (1940-1993), American musician, actor, and satirist, posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997
- Francesco Zappa (1763-1788), Italian cellist and composer
- Guido Zappa (b. 1915), Italian mathematician
- Riccardo Zappa, American composer, known for his work on Little Flames (1985)
- Carrie-Ellen Zappa, American CEO of Zappa Studios in Blue Ash, Ohio, known for her work on Secretariat (2010) and 50 to 1 (2014)
- João Pedro Zappa, Spanish actor, known for Gabriel and the Mountain (2017), Good Luck (2014) and Direita É a Mão que Você Escreve (2009)
- William Zappa (b. 1948), English actor, known for his work in The Road Warrior (1981), Dead Europe (2012) and Quigley Down Under (1990)
- Moon Unit Zappa (b. 1967), American actress, daughter of Frank Zappa
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)