100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Yost family come from? What is the German Yost family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yost family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yost family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jost, Joste, Jostes, Jostt, Jostts, Jostte, Josttes, Josst, Jossts, Joost, Joosts, Joostt, Yost and many more.
First found in the Rhineland, where this family was a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always influential in social affairs, the name Jost became an integral part of that turbulent region as it forged alliances with other families within the region and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yost research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the year 1719 is included under the topic Early Yost History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yost Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Yost Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hiester Yost, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1740
- Francis Yost, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1755
- Nicholas Yost, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1755
- Casper Yost, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1760
- Michael Yost, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764
Yost Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frederick Yost, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- George Peter Yost, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1833
- George Peter Yost, who was naturalized in Allegheny Co. Pennsylvania in 1833
- John Nicholas Yost, who landed in Maryland in 1837
- Jacob Yost, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1845
- Jacob Senewell Yost (1801-1872), American politician
- Casper Salathiel Yost (1863-1941), longtime editor of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat
- Nellie Irene Snyder Yost (1905-1992), American historian and writer
- Herbert Yost (1879-1945), American actor of the silent era
- Dorothy Yost (1899-1967), American screenwriter
- Joseph W. Yost (1847-1923), prominent American architect from Ohio
- Paul Edward Yost (1919-2007), American inventor of the modern hot air balloon
- David Harold Yost (b. 1969), American actor and producer
- Christopher Yost (b. 1973), American film, animation and comic book writer
- Edgar Frederick "Ned" Yost (b. 1955), former American Major League Baseball catcher
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
The Yost Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yost Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 April 2014 at 14:12.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!