Shumate History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origin of the proud surname Shumate can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which is now part of Czechoslovakia. In the Middle Ages, many of the Bohemian were a part of the Holy Roman Empire, which was characterized by the Feudal System. Before this era, people were known only by a single name. However, as the population increased and travelers set out on their journeys, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves. Many people, such as the Shumate family, adopted the name of their feudal occupation as their surname. However, an occupational name did not become a hereditary surname until the office or type of employment became hereditary. The surname Shumate was an occupational name for a cobbler. The name Shumate is derived from the Old German words "schuoch" and the suffix "mann," which means shoe maker.
Early Origins of the Shumate family
The surname Shumate was first found in the eastern regions of Saxony and Bohemia, where the family was established in ancient times.
Early History of the Shumate family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shumate research. Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1299, 1474, 1782, 1790, 1810, and 1856 are included under the topic Early Shumate History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shumate Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schumann, Schuman, Schuhman, Schuhmann, Schuhermann, Schumacher, Shuhmacher, Schomann (northern Germany), Schomacher (northern Germany), Schomaker (northern Germany) and many more.
Early Notables of the Shumate family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shumate Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shumate migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shumate Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bert Shumate, aged 22, who settled in Irondale, Va., in 1915
- Wallace A. Shumate, aged 23, who settled in Haymarket, Va., in 1922
- A. Mitchell Shumate, aged 16, who immigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1924
- Mary Shumate, aged 52, who immigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Shumate (post 1700) +
- John C. Shumate (1918-1992), American Army Medical Services Corps pharmacist
- Mark Anthony Shumate (b. 1960), former American football nose tackle
- Jabar Shumate, American Democratic Party member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives
- David Shumate, American poet
- Harold Shumate (1893-1983), American screenwriter
- Jim Shumate, American fiddler
- Ada Jessamine Shumate (1902-1990), American Artist, historian and cartographer
- John H. Shumate (b. 1952), retired American professional basketball player
- Grace Shumate, American Democrat politician, Member of West Virginia Democratic State Executive Committee, 1945 
- E. D. Shumate, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 22nd District, 1984 
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Shumate +
- 3738 "The Ancestry and Descendants of William Riley Shumate, 1777-1979" by Norma Pontiff Evans.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html