Barbosa History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Barbosa, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barbosa, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain was conquered by the Muslim Moors from the 8th to 12th centuries. The Barbosa family lived in the region of Barbarius, in the province of Tarragona.
Early Origins of the Barbosa family
The surname Barbosa was first found in Castile, prominent among the medieval Christian kingdoms of Spain.
Important Dates for the Barbosa family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barbosa research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1127, 1394, 1529, 1539, 1590, and 1650 are included under the topic Early Barbosa History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barbosa Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barba, Barbo, Barbado, Barbada, de Barbada, Barbachano, Barbadillo, Barbón, Barbon, Barbosa, Barboso, Barbero, Barbera, Barberán, Barberan, Barbería, Barberia, Barbasán and many more.
Early Notables of the Barbosa family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were thirteenth century Castilian landowner Pelayo Barbero; Martín de Barbada, knight of the Reconquest, who died in 1394 during an unsuccessful attempt to capture Granada; Lope de Barba Figueroa, made a Knight of St. John...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barbosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barbosa migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barbosa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Barbosa, who arrived in America in 1812 
- Francisco Barbosa, aged 49, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1829 
Barbosa Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agostinha Carria Barbosa, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States, in 1902
- Antonio Barbosa, aged 13, who immigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, in 1902
- Andres Barbosa, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1918
- Antonio G. Barbosa, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1920
- Aristides Barbosa, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1923
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Barbosa (post 1700)
- António Moreira Barbosa de Melao GColL (1932-2016), Portuguese lawyer, politician and parliamentarian
- Francisco Domingo Barbosa Da Silveira (1944-2015), Roman Catholic bishop in Uruguay
- Cédric Barbosa (b. 1976), French professional football player
- Everaldo Vergne de Assis Barbosa (b. 1975), Brazilian football midfielder
- Jorge Vera-Cruz Barbosa (1902-1971), Cape Verdean poet and writer
- Euclydes Barbosa (1909-1988), Brazilian football defender
- Moacyr Barbosa (1921-2000), Brazilian football goalkeeper
- Leandro Mateus Barbosa (b. 1982), Brazilian NBA professional basketball player
- José Luíz Barbosa (b. 1961), Brazilian two-time gold medalist runner
- César Barbosa (b. 1954), Colombian biologist, ornithologist and botanist
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)