100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The distinguished surname Wynkoop is Dutch in origin. It is an occupational name, meaning "wine cup," and referring to "one who sells wine." The name was probably first borne by someone who held this occupation.
The surname Wynkoop was first found in Holland, where the ancestral home of the Wynkoop family is thought to be located.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wynkoop, Wijnkoop, Wynnkoop, Winecup, Winecoop and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wynkoop research. Another 308 words (22 lines of text) covering the year 1842 is included under the topic Early Wynkoop History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wynkoop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wynkoop Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Pieter Wynkoop, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1639
- Cornelis Evertsz Wynkoop, who settled in New Netherlands in 1651
- Cornelis Wynkoop, who landed in New York in 1658
Wynkoop Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Dirck Wynkoop, aged 47, arrived in New York in 1746
- Henry Wynkoop, who immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1777
- Rodney Wynkoop, American conductor, Director of Chapel Music at Duke University
- Christopher Wynkoop (b. 1943), American film actor, known for his work on Ghostbusters (1984), Wendigo (2001) and Summer of Sam (1999)
- Edward W Wynkoop (1836-1891), American founder of the city of Denver, Colorado, a lieutenant colonel in the First Colorado Volunteer Cavalry during the American Civil War
- Mildred Olive Bangs Wynkoop (1905-1997), American ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene
- Joel D. Wynkoop (b. 1960), American actor and filmmaker
- Gerardus Wynkoop (d. 1812), American politician, Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 2nd Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 1793
- Henry Wynkoop (1737-1812), American politician, Member of the Continental Congress, United States Representative for the state of Pennsylvania (1789-1791)
- Henry Wynkoop, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1856
- Henry Wynkoop (1737-1816), American politician, Delegate to Continental Congress from Pennsylvania, 1779-82; State Court Judge in Pennsylvania, 1783-89; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania at-large, 1789-91
- Dirck Wynkoop (1732-1796), American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Ulster County, 1780-81; Common Pleas Court Judge in New York
- Wynkoop Genealogy in the United States of American. 3rd Ed. Richard Wynkoop. New York: Knickerbocker Press, 1904.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
The Wynkoop Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wynkoop Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 11:33.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!