100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The German name Wurtz has evolved from several different sources. The name may be a derivative of the Middle High German "wert" meaning "river island," or "river bank." It may have come from the ancient personal name Werner, composed of the Old High German "warjan" meaning "protection" and "hari" meaning "army." The Middle High German word "wurz" meant "greenery" or "herb" and Wurtz may have been an occupational
name for a green grocer. It also possible that as a surname, Wurtz derived from a place name, such as the town named Wurzberg, in the Odenwald region.
The surname Wurtz was first found in the Rhineland-Palatinate, Southwestern Germany
, where a Werzo Carpentarius was listed as residing in Worms in 1277. Another early instance of the name is of Conrad der alt Wurz (the elder Conrad,) who was listed in the "Wurttembergische Viertelsjahrhefte fur Landesgeschichte," as being a citizen of Horkheim in 1370.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wertz, Werz, Wert, Wurz, Wurtz, Wirz and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wurtz research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1477, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Wurtz History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wurtz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wurtz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joggi Wurtz, who landed in America in 1736
- Elisa Wurtz, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1737
- Jacob Wurtz, who landed in America in 1749
- Hans Martin Wurtz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Henry Wurtz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
Wurtz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elisabeth Wurtz, who was on record in Lancaster, NY in 1833
- Elisabeth Wurtz, who landed in Lancaster, NY in 1833
- Jakob Wurtz, who arrived in Lancaster, NY in 1833
- Johannes Wurtz, who arrived in Lancaster, NY in 1833
- Magdalene Wurtz, who arrived in Lancaster, NY in 1833
Wurtz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George Wurtz, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1916
- Richard J. Wurtz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kansas, 1996
- Volkmar Würtz (b. 1938), German fencer at the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Francis Wurtz (b. 1948), French politician from Strasbourg, Member of the European Parliament
- Charles Adolphe Wurtz (1817-1884), French chemist, best know for his Wurtz reaction
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
The Wurtz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wurtz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 October 2015 at 10:55.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!