100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The German name Wirtz has evolved from several different sources. The name may be a derivative of the Middle High German "wert" meaning "river island," or "river bank." It may have come from the ancient personal name Werner, composed of the Old High German "warjan" meaning "protection" and "hari" meaning "army." The Middle High German word "wurz" meant "greenery" or "herb" and Wirtz may have been an occupational
name for a green grocer. It also possible that as a surname, Wirtz derived from a place name, such as the town named Wurzberg, in the Odenwald region.
The surname Wirtz was first found in the Rhineland-Palatinate, Southwestern Germany
, where a Werzo Carpentarius was listed as residing in Worms in 1277. Another early instance of the name is of Conrad der alt Wurz (the elder Conrad,) who was listed in the "Wurttembergische Viertelsjahrhefte fur Landesgeschichte," as being a citizen of Horkheim in 1370.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wertz, Werz, Wert, Wurz, Wurtz, Wirz and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wirtz research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1477, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Wirtz History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wirtz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wirtz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Wirtz, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1731
- Jacob Wirtz, aged 26, landed in Pennsylvania in 1731
- Johannes Conrad Wirtz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1735
- Hans Conrad Wirtz, aged 26, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1735
- Lisa Magdalena Wirtz, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1737
Wirtz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anne Marie Wirtz, who settled in America in 1835
- William Wirtz, aged 30, landed in St Louis, Missouri in 1848
- George Wirtz, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- Anton Wirtz, aged 32, landed in America in 1857
- Georg Wirtz, aged 14, arrived in New York in 1862
Wirtz Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Peter Wirtz, who arrived in Canada in 1841
- Arthur Wirtz (1901-1983), American businessman, owner Chicago Blackhawks & Bulls
- Alvin J. Wirtz (1888-1951), American lawyer, Under Secretary for the Department of the Interior (1940-1941)
- William Willard Wirtz (b. 1912), American administrator, Secretary of Labor (1962-1969)
- Karl Eugen Julius Wirtz (1910-1994), German nuclear physicist
- Carl Wilhelm Wirtz (1876-1939), German astronomer
- Kris Wirtz (b. 1969), Canadian figure skater
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Wirtz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wirtz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 January 2015 at 07:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!