Early Origins of the Windlin family
The surname Windlin was first found in Norfolk
at Wendling, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred
of Launditch, in the W. division of Norfolk
. Some time before 1267 an abbey was founded by William de Wendling, in honor of the Blessed Virgin, for Praemonstratensian canons. The name is thought to have meant "settlement of the family or followers of a man called Waendel" which was derived from the Old English personal name
+ ingas CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
. The place was listed in the Domesday Book
as Wenlinga and was land held by the Abbot of St. Edmund and was rather small by standards of that day having only six acres, room for only one plough. CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
Later, in the year 1273 William de Wendling was listed there in the Hundredorum Rolls.
Early History of the Windlin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Windlin research.Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Windlin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Windlin Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Wendlin, Wendling, Windling, Windlin and others.
Early Notables of the Windlin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Windlin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Windlin family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Hans Dewald Wendlin who settled in Philadelphia in 1752 or Anna Cath Wendling who sailed, port unknown, in 1754. George Wendling went to Philadelphia in 1747 and was followed 81 years later by another George Wendling who went to America in 1828. Eva Wendlin left, port unknown, in 1779.