Early Origins of the Wilburgham family
The surname Wilburgham was first found in Cheshire
where they were descended from Sir Richard Wilburgham who was Lord of Wymincham, the Sheriff of Chester. Many of the family were found in the township of Fadiley in the union and hundred
of Nantwich. "This place was anciently esteemed an appendage of the manor of Baddiley, but the owners of Woodhey here had, at an early period, a manor which became vested in the earls of Dysart, by the marriage of the coheiress of Sir Thomas Wilbraham with Lionel, Lord Huntingtower, in 1680. A domestic chapel was built at Woodhey by the relict of Sir Thomas Wilbraham, who, in 1703, endowed it with a rent-charge of £25. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Wilburgham family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wilburgham research.Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1579, 1643, 1601, 1660, 1630, 1692, 1654, 1679, 1681, 1632 and 1705 are included under the topic Early Wilburgham History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wilburgham Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Wilburgham family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir Richard Wilbraham, 1st Baronet
(1579-1643); Sir Thomas Wilbraham, 2nd Baronet
(1601-1660); Sir Thomas Wilbraham, 3rd Baronet
(1630-1692) High Sheriff
in 1654 and Member of Parliament for Stafford (1679-1681); and Lady Elizabeth... Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wilburgham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wilburgham family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Thomas Wilbraham settled in Barbados in 1679; James, Saul, Thomas, Wilbraham arrived in Philadelphia between 1852 and 1866.
The Wilburgham Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: In portu quies
Motto Translation: There is rest in port.