100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wilbur, Willbur, Wilbeorht, Wylbert, Wilbert and others.
First found in Huntingdonshire, where the name appeared in the 13th century. The name Wilbur, like many surnames, comes from a personal name, in this case the Old English name Wilbeorht, which meant "will-bright." The personal version of the name was uncommon, even in its early days and had faded into near non-existence by the time the surname first appeared. Though the personal name did not appear in any records beyond the 11th century, it must have still been in use, probably by peasants, since the Wilbur name no doubt originates from it.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wilbur research. Another 65 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1279, 1595, 1656, 1622 and 1678 are included under the topic Early Wilbur History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 91 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wilbur Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wilbur Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Wilbur, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1633
Wilbur Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R B Wilbur, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- M Wilbur, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Wilbur Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- David Wilbur, who came to Nova Scotia in 1760
- David Wilbur, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1760
- Claire "Catt" Wilbur (1933-2004), American actress of stage and screen and Academy Award winning producer
- Crane Wilbur (1886-1973), American writer, actor and director, best remembered for playing Harry Marvin in The Perils of Pauline (1914)
- Curtis Dwight Wilbur (1867-1954), American 43rd Secretary of the Navy
- Colonel William Hale Wilbur (1888-1979), American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1942
- David F. Wilbur, American politician, U.S. Consul in Barbados, 1904-05
- Daniel W. Wilbur, American Republican politician, Mayor of Poughkeepsie, New York, 1915-16
- Curtis Dwight Wilbur (1867-1954), American politician, Secretary of the Navy, 1924-29; Judge of U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 1929-31
- Alroy A. Wilbur, American politician, Mayor of Lansing, Michigan, 1894
- Alden L. Wilbur, American Republican politician, Member of Alaska territorial House of Representatives 4th District, 1951-54
- Edward P. Wilbur, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1888
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Wilbur Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wilbur Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 09:03.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!