on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Widener family come from? What is the German Widener family crest and coat of arms? When did the Widener family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Widener family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weidenaver, Weitnauer, Wiedenaver, Weitaver, Wietnaver, Weidenauer, Wiedenauer, Weidnauer, Wiednauer, Weitenauer, Wietenaver, Weitenaver, Widenaver, Widnaver, Widenauer, Widnauer, Witenaver and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Widener research. Another 212 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Widener History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Widener Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Widener Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Adam Widener, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Mrs. Eleanor Widener, (née Elkins), aged 50, American First Class passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 4
- Mr. Harry Elkins Widener (d. 1912), aged 27, American First Class passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Mr. George Dunton Widener (d. 1912), aged 50, American First Class passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Chris Widener (b. 1966), American author and speaker
- Warren Widener, former Mayor of Berkeley, California
- Hiram Emory Widener Jr. (1923-2007), United States federal judge
- Harry Elkins Widener (1885-1912), businessman and book collector from the United States
- Chris Widener, American member of the Ohio Senate
- Joseph Early Widener (1871-1943), wealthy American art collector
- George Dunton Widener Jr. (1889-1971), American businessman and thoroughbred racehorse owner
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
The Widener Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Widener Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 10:59.
on orders of $85 or more