100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Whitcomb was first found in Shropshire
where Berwick Mavesyn was settled in Morey. In ancient times, they moved to Wydecombe in Devon.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Widdicombe, Witchcombe, Whitcombe, Wydecombe and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitcomb research. Another 279 words (20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitcomb History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Whitcomb Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitcomb Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Whitcomb, who landed in Lancaster, Massachusetts in 1654
- James Whitcomb, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1665
Whitcomb Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Whitcomb, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1791
Whitcomb Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M Whitcomb, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Whitcomb Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Whitcomb arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "David Malcolm" in 1848
Whitcomb Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Whitcomb, aged 28, a painter, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Conflict" in 1874
- Matilda Whitcomb, aged 24, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Conflict" in 1874
- Emma J. Whitcomb, aged 6, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Conflict" in 1874
- Elizabeth Whitcomb, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Conflict" in 1874
- William Whitcomb, aged 9 months, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Conflict" in 1874
- Edgar Doud Whitcomb (1917-2016), American politician, 43rd Governor of Indiana (1969-1973)
- Uzziel S. Whitcomb (b. 1817), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont State Senate from Chittenden County, 1882
- Mrs. Roger Whitcomb, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Kansas, 1972
- Marciene H. Whitcomb, American Republican politician, Mayor of Holyoke, Massachusetts, 1894
- O. P. Whitcomb, American politician, Mayor of Rochester, Minnesota, 1871-72; Minnesota State Auditor, 1873-82
- Louis G. Whitcomb, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Vermont, 1953-61
- Louis B. Whitcomb, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Andover; Elected 1908; Defeated, 1926
- Loammi Whitcomb, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Wayne County 2nd District, 1853
- L. S. Whitcomb, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1940
- James L. Whitcomb (1819-1899), American politician, Mayor of Battle Creek, Michigan, 1878
- The John Whitcomb Family in Indiana, and Interrelated Branches, 1830-1978 by Margaret Whitcomb Baird.
- Yankee Heritage, a Sisson Ancestry by Brian J.L. Berry.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Whitcomb Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitcomb Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2016 at 12:37.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!