Weyers History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Weyers has a few possible origins. The name may be toponymic, from a place name near which the original bearer lived or held land. Place names which could have inspired the surname Weyers could be Weier, Weiher, Wieren, and Weyer in Germany or Wierum in Holland. Or the surname could be locative, from a geographical feature near where the bearer resided. In either case, the name would be derived from the Middle German word "weiher" meaning "a pond or still water" or from the old German water-word "wir." The surname Weyers may also be patronymic, from the first name of the father of the initial bearer. In this case, the surname Weyers would come from the personal name Wigheri, stemming from "weihen" meaning "holy."
Early Origins of the Weyers family
The surname Weyers was first found in Westphalia, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families in the western region. From the 13th century onwards the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. Haintz Weyer from Heudorf was recorded in Riedlingen in 1434, and Magdalena zum Weiher, widow of Erasmus zum Wiger, in Freiburg in 1572. A shoemaker named Martin Weyermann was mentioned in documents of 1644.
Early History of the Weyers family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weyers research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1580, 1640, 1621, 1596, 1666, 1610, 1623, 1670, 1620, 1690 and 1842 are included under the topic Early Weyers History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weyers Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weyer, Weyher, Wier, Weyhe, Weyier, van der Weyer, van den Weyer, Weye, Weyers, Wyers, Wyer, Wiermann and many more.
Early Notables of the Weyers family (pre 1700)
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weyers Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weyers migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weyers Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Herman Weyers, aged 47, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Jannigje Weyers, aged 48, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Maria Weyers, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Myntje Weyers, aged 19, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Myntje Weyers, who settled in Baltimore in 1847
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)