on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Swiss
Where did the German Wertz family come from? What is the German Wertz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wertz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wertz family history?The German name Wertz has evolved from several different sources. The name may be a derivative of the Middle High German "wert" meaning "river island," or "river bank." It may have come from the ancient personal name Werner, composed of the Old High German "warjan" meaning "protection" and "hari" meaning "army." The Middle High German word "wurz" meant "greenery" or "herb" and Wertz may have been an occupational name for a green grocer. It also possible that as a surname, Wertz derived from a place name, such as the town named Wurzberg, in the Odenwald region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wertz, Werz, Wert, Wurz, Wurtz, Wirz and others.
First found in the Rhineland-Palatinate, Southwestern Germany, where a Werzo Carpentarius was listed as residing in Worms in 1277. Another early instance of the name is of Conrad der alt Wurz (the elder Conrad,) who was listed in the "Wurttembergische Viertelsjahrhefte fur Landesgeschichte," as being a citizen of Horkheim in 1370.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wertz research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1477, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Wertz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wertz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wertz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Friederich Wertz, his wife Anna Eva Schickner Wertz, and their two children who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1747
- Johann Tiel Wertz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Peter Wertz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Wilhelm Wertz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Jacob Wertz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1755
Wertz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francis Wertz, who landed in New York in 1818
- John P Wertz, who arrived in Mississippi in 1847
- Gotlieb Wertz, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1850
- Franz Joseph Wertz, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- Barbe Wertz, and her four children, who came from Alsace to North America in 1853
Wertz Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Carl Wertz, aged 24, a miner, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rangitikei" in 1884
- Robert C. Wertz (1932-2009), American politician who served for 32 years as a Republican member of the New York State Assembly
- William "Bill" Charles Wertz (b. 1967), American former Major League Baseball player
- Victor Woodrow Wertz (1925-1983), American Major League Baseball player
- George M Wertz (1856-1928), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Fernand Wertz (b. 1894), Belgian football coach and striker
- The Wertz Family by Mrs. Robert Ungerer.
- Wertz, Wirt, Wuertz, etc. Families of Pennsylvania, 1400'2-1990 by Carolyn Cell Choppin.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
The Wertz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wertz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 August 2014 at 13:50.
on orders of $85 or more