Welldoom History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Welldoom family
The surname Welldoom was first found in Cheshire in the lands and manor of Eaton in that county. They were descended from Edric, surnamed Stratton or Sylvaticus, created Duke of Mercia by Ethelred, King of England in 1003, but put to death 14 years later by King Canute. Edric Wild or Weld, his descendant in 1066, was a person of great power in the north west of England. He was succeeded by another Edric, William, John, William and Edward, living 1290. William Weld, Sheriff of London in 1352 married Anne Wettenhall and was seated at Eaton in Cheshire. 
Looking further south, early records of the family were found in Dorset. The " Abbreviatio Placitorum," fol. 283, A. D. 1290, lists John de Welda and Matilda his wife, in Essex, recovered damages in a suit. Much later, Humphry Weld, of East Barnet, Herts, was Lord Mayor of London in 1610. "Several members of the family raised themselves by success in the legal profession; amongst whom we may mention Sir John Weld, knight, of Arnolds, in the parish of Edmonton, brother of the said Lord Mayor. He built and endowed Southgate Chapel in that parish, which was consecrated by Dr. King, bishop of London, in 1615. According to Lysons, the learned knight died in 1622." 
This may be the same Humphrey Weld who in 1653 purchased a rash of estates: "The manor of Melbury Abbesse and Kingsdon, com. Dorset and Somerset for £8,732 on April 1st; "The manor of Fountmill, co. Dorset" for £3,690 on April 27th; and "The manor of Sembley, co. Wiltshire", The manor of Bridsey, co. Wiltshire", and "The manor of Tollard Royal, in co. Dorset and Wilts" for a total of £6,000. 
In Yorkshire, the first record was found in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 where Willelmus del Weld was listed at that time as holding lands there. 
Early History of the Welldoom family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Welldoom research. Another 152 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1599, 1602, 1614, 1632, 1656, 1590, 1662, 1590, 1632, 1641, 1649, 1610, 1609 and 1641 are included under the topic Early Welldoom History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Welldoom Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weld, Welde, Weilde, Weldee and others.
Early Notables of the Welldoom family (pre 1700)
Notables of this surname at this time include: Thomas Weld, Welde or Wells (1590?-1662), English Puritan divine, born in the south of England about 1590, and educated at Cambridge. "He emigrated to New England, arriving at Boston on 5 June 1632. In July he was appointed 'pastor' of First Roxbury, Massachusetts. His 'Bay Psalm Book,' is memorable as the first volume printed in the American colonies. In...
Migration of the Welldoom family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel, Edmund. John, Joseph, Samual, Thomas and Margeret all settled in Salem, Massachusetts in 1632.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Nil sine numine
Motto Translation: Nothing without the Deity.