on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The Welker surname is derived from the Middle High German term "walker" denoting a person who cleaned and thickened cloth, a fuller. One of the chief industries in Germany
during the centuries when surnames became hereditary was the weaving of coarse woolen cloth. After the raw cloth left the loom, it had to be cleansed, scoured, and thickened, and this was done by the walker.
The surname Welker was first found in Germany
where records of the name date back to the thirteenth century. In 1253 one Sigelo dictus Welkere was recorded in Weissenburg, and in 1209 Bruno Welkiner was a citizen of Cologne.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Walker, Welker, Walcher, Welcker and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Welker research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1333, 1784, and 1868 are included under the topic Early Welker History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Welker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Welker Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Andreas Welker, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Andereas Welker, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1749
- Leonard Welker, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Jacob Welker, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1768
Welker Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barnhardt Welker, who was naturalized in Allegheny Co. Pennsylvania in 1844
- Barnhardt Welker, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Conrod Welker, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1853
- Phil Adolph Welker, who arrived in America in 1854
- Marie Sophie Welker, who arrived in America in 1856
- Wes Welker (b. 1981), American NFL football player
- Franklin W. "Frank" Welker (b. 1946), American actor and voice-over artist
- David Welker (b. 1964), American Artist
- Philip Welker (b. 1989), German Badminton player
- Michael Welker (b. 1947), German theologist
- Heinrich Welker (1912-1981), German theoretical and applied physicist who invented the transistron
- Hans Welker (1907-1968), German football player
- Volkmar Welker, German mathematics professor Philipps-Universität in Marburg
- Martin Welker (1819-1902), US congressman from Ohio
- Jim Welker (b. 1950), Colorado State Representative
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Welker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Welker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 June 2013 at 00:07.
on orders of $85 or more