on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, German
Where did the German Welker family come from? What is the German Welker family crest and coat of arms? When did the Welker family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Welker family history?The Welker surname is derived from the Middle High German term "walker" denoting a person who cleaned and thickened cloth, a fuller. One of the chief industries in Germany during the centuries when surnames became hereditary was the weaving of coarse woolen cloth. After the raw cloth left the loom, it had to be cleansed, scoured, and thickened, and this was done by the walker.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Walker, Welker, Walcher, Welcker and others.
First found in Germany where records of the name date back to the thirteenth century. In 1253 one Sigelo dictus Welkere was recorded in Weissenburg, and in 1209 Bruno Welkiner was a citizen of Cologne.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Welker research. Another 99 words(7 lines of text) covering the years 1333, 1784, and 1868 are included under the topic Early Welker History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Welker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Welker Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Andreas Welker, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Andereas Welker, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1749
- Leonard Welker, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Jacob Welker, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1768
Welker Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barnhardt Welker, who was naturalized in Allegheny Co. Pennsylvania in 1844
- Barnhardt Welker, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Conrod Welker, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1853
- Phil Adolph Welker, who arrived in America in 1854
- Marie Sophie Welker, who arrived in America in 1856
- David Welker (b. 1964), American Artist
- Franklin W. "Frank" Welker (b. 1946), American actor and voice-over artist
- Wes Welker (b. 1981), American NFL football player
- Volkmar Welker, German mathematics professor Philipps-Universität in Marburg
- Hans Welker (1907-1968), German football player
- Heinrich Welker (1912-1981), German theoretical and applied physicist who invented the transistron
- Michael Welker (b. 1947), German theologist
- Philip Welker (b. 1989), German Badminton player
- Herman Welker (1906-1957), US Senator from Idaho
- Jim Welker (b. 1950), Colorado State Representative
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
The Welker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Welker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 June 2013 at 00:07.
on orders of $85 or more