Welk History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Welk family
The surname Welk was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Welk family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Welk research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1825, 1690 and 1748 are included under the topic Early Welk History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Welk Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wilkenshoff, Wilkens, Wilkenhoff, Wilkenshof, Willkenshoff, Wilckens, Wilckenshoff, Wihlkenshoff, Welkenshoff, Weilkenshoff, Weilkenshoff, Wielkens and many more.
Early Notables of the Welk family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Welk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Welk is the 12,920th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Welk migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Welk Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Welk, who arrived in New York, NY in 1855 
- David Welk, aged 40, who arrived in New York, NY in 1874 
- Ludwig Welk, aged 28, who landed in New York, NY in 1893 
Contemporary Notables of the name Welk (post 1700) +
- Lawrence Welk (1903-1992), American musician, accordionist, bandleader, and television impresario, creator and host of The Lawrence Welk Show from 1955 to 1982
- Tanya Falan Welk -Roberts (1948-1968), American singer, best known for her appearances on The Lawrence Welk Show from 1968 to 1977
- Emil "Ehm" Welk (1884-1966), German journalist, writer, professor and founder of Volkshochschulen
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)