100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Weiss family come from? What is the German Weiss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weiss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weiss family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weiss, Weisse, Weisser (Silesia) and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weiss research. Another 219 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1598, 1611, 1686, 1706, 1750, 1836, and 1853 are included under the topic Early Weiss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 54 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weiss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weiss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Goerge Weiss, who came to America in 1709
- Johannes Weiss arrived in New York State in 1710
- Johannes Weiss arrived in America in 1725
- George Michael Weiss, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
- Hans Adam Weiss, who arrived in America in 1731
Weiss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Josames Weiss, who arrived in New York in 1819
- James Weiss, who landed in New York in 1820
- Jane Weiss, who arrived in New York in 1820
- Christian Weiss, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Henriette Weiss, who arrived in America in 1841
Weiss Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emmanuel Weiss, aged 3, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Etrasina Weiss, aged 55, arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- Elisabeth Weiss, aged 24, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Christine Weiss, aged 26, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Hulda Weiss, aged 13, landed in New York, NY in 1901
Weiss Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jean Weiss, who arrived in Red River, Canada in 1821
Weiss Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Ida Weiss, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Adolph Weiss (1891-1971), American composer, bassoonist, and conductor of the San Fransisco Opera and Los Angeles orchestra
- Paul Weiss (b. 1901), American philosopher and educator
- Ehrich Weiss (1874-1926), original name of Harry Houdini, Hungarian-born American magician and escapologist, stunt performer and actor
- Bryon Lee Weiss (1963-2014), American two-time Screen Actors Guild Award nominated stuntman and actor, known for his work on The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), Live Free or Die Hard (2007) and Valkyrie (2008)
- Peter Weiss (1916-1982), famed German playwright and novelist influenced by Brecht
- Ulrich Weiss (b. 1936), prominent German banker, managing director of the Deutsche Bank
- Peter Ulrich Weiss (1916-1982), German dramatist
- Paul Alfred Weiss (b. 1898), prominent biologist, won the National Science Award (1980)
- Master Herman Weiss (1915-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mr. William H Weiss (1894-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mayflower Lines of Our Grandchildren by Frederick Lewis Weis.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
The Weiss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weiss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 June 2015 at 23:03.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!