on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Weiss family come from? What is the German Weiss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weiss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weiss family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weiss, Weisse, Weisser (Silesia) and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weiss research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1598, 1611, 1686, 1706, 1750, 1836, and 1853 are included under the topic Early Weiss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weiss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weiss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Goerge Weiss, who came to America in 1709
- Johannes Weiss arrived in New York State in 1710
- Johannes Weiss arrived in America in 1725
- George Michael Weiss, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
- Hans Adam Weiss, who arrived in America in 1731
Weiss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Josames Weiss, who arrived in New York in 1819
- James Weiss, who landed in New York in 1820
- Jane Weiss, who arrived in New York in 1820
- Christian Weiss, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Henriette Weiss, who arrived in America in 1841
Weiss Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emmanuel Weiss, aged 3, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Etrasina Weiss, aged 55, arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- Elisabeth Weiss, aged 24, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Christine Weiss, aged 26, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Hulda Weiss, aged 13, landed in New York, NY in 1901
Weiss Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jean Weiss, who arrived in Red River, Canada in 1821
Weiss Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Ida Weiss, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Daniel Brett Weiss (b. 1971), American Primetime Emmy Award winning author, screenwriter, producer, and director
- Bryon Lee Weiss (1963-2014), American two-time Screen Actors Guild Award nominated stuntman and actor, known for his work on The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), Live Free or Die Hard (2007) and Valkyrie (2008)
- Ehrich Weiss (1874-1926), original name of Harry Houdini, Hungarian-born American magician and escapologist, stunt performer and actor
- Paul Weiss (b. 1901), American philosopher and educator
- Adolph Weiss (1891-1971), American composer, bassoonist, and conductor of the San Fransisco Opera and Los Angeles orchestra
- Peter Ulrich Weiss (1916-1982), German dramatist
- Ulrich Weiss (b. 1936), prominent German banker, managing director of the Deutsche Bank
- Peter Weiss (1916-1982), famed German playwright and novelist influenced by Brecht
- Mr. Herman W. Weiss (1865-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mrs. Sarah A. Weiss (1867-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mayflower Lines of Our Grandchildren by Frederick Lewis Weis.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
The Weiss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weiss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 September 2015 at 12:50.
on orders of $85 or more