Weidler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
There are several possible origins for the name Weidler because the German word "weide" from which it originates has three quite different definitions. Firstly, it means "willow," implying that the first bearer could have been someone who lived near a large or notable willow tree; many surnames in Germany and most other European countries were taken from some noteworthy feature near the person's house. Secondly, it means "grazing," implying that the name may have been taken because the first bearer lived near good grazing lands. Lastly, the word also means "hunting"; this could mean that the man was a hunter, or it could mean that he lived near well-known hunting grounds.
Early Origins of the Weidler family
The surname Weidler was first found in Westphalia, where the name Weidler emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Early History of the Weidler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weidler research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1686 and 1743 are included under the topic Early Weidler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weidler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weide, Weid, Weiden, Waide, Weidler, Weidman, Weidmann, Weidtler, Widmann, Wiede, Wiedmann, Wiedemann and many more.
Early Notables of the Weidler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Weidler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Weidler is the 18,391st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Weidler migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weidler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Weidler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
Weidler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Weidler, who landed in Mississippi in 1844 
- Valentin Weidler, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1862 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)