100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
There are several possible origins for the name Weideman because the German word "weide" from which it originates has three quite different definitions. Firstly, it means "willow," implying that the first bearer could have been someone who lived near a large or notable willow tree; many surnames in Germany and most other European countries were taken from some noteworthy feature near the person's house. Secondly, it means "grazing," implying that the name may have been taken because the first bearer lived near good grazing lands. Lastly, the word also means "hunting"; this could mean that the man was a hunter, or it could mean that he lived near well-known hunting grounds.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weide, Weid, Weiden, Waide, Weidler, Weidman, Weidmann, Weidtler, Widmann, Wiede, Wiedmann, Wiedemann and many more.
First found in Westphalia, where the name Weideman emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weideman research. Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1686 and 1743 are included under the topic Early Weideman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weideman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weideman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Weideman, who landed in New York, NY in 1782
Weideman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Weideman, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906
- Elizabeth Weideman, aged 43, who landed in America, in 1895
- Marie Weideman, aged 15, who landed in America, in 1895
Weideman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frank Weideman, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1902
- Heins Weideman, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1904
- Louise Weideman, aged 4, who emigrated to America, in 1904
- Walther Weideman, aged 6, who settled in America, in 1904
- Anna Weideman, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
Weideman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Valentine Weideman, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Elizabeth Weideman, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 16th District, 1962
- Carl May Weideman (1898-1972), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Michigan 14th District, 1933-35; Defeated in primary, 1934; Circuit Judge in Michigan 3rd Circuit, 1950-67; Defeated, 1935
- Arnold J. Weideman (1889-1943), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Isabella County, 1937-38
- Carl May Weideman (1898-1972), American naval officer, politician and jurist from the U.S. state of Michigan
- Izak Francois Nel Weideman (1960-2001), South African first-class cricketer
- George Henry Weideman (1947-2008), South African poet and writer
- George "Graeme" Weideman (b. 1934), Australian politician who represented Frankston for the Liberal Party of Australia, Minister for Tourism and Assistant Minister for Health (1981 to 1982)
- Murray Weideman (b. 1936), former Australian rules footballer
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
The Weideman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weideman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 October 2015 at 09:38.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!