100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German, Scottish
The surname Waldrop could be of patronymic origin, derived from the name of the father of the original bearer, indicating the "son of Waldrap." The Germanic personal name Waldrap, is a short form of Walraven, a name used mostly among nobles, knights, and patricians. It stems from the Germanic words "wald" meaning "forest" and "rabe" meaning "raven." Alternatively, the surname Waldrop can be of locative origin, derived from a geographical feature near where the original bearer once dwelled. In this case the surname Waldrop comes from the Germanic "wald" meaning "forest" and the Old Norse "throp" meaning "hamlet or small settlement." Thus the surname may signify "dweller by the forest hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waldrep, Waldrip, Waldrop, Waltrap, Waltrip, Waltrup, Walrab, Waldraff, Wallraff, Waldroff, Wohlrab and many more.
First found in the Lower Rhineland, where it was a popular name. References to the surname can be found in German documents dating back to the very late 13th and early 14th centuries. Detmar Walraven lived in Lubeck in 1299, and one named Walraf was a city official and resident of Herbertingen in 1345. Gobel Walrave was a resident of the city of Cologne in 1417. Andreas Waldraff resided in Constance in 1580, and in 1582 his name is listed as Andreas Wallraff.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waldrop research. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1340, 1689, 1720, 1724, 1748 and 1824 are included under the topic Early Waldrop History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Waldrop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waldrop Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henrich Waldrop, who served as a mercenary soldier with the British during the American Revolution, and settled in North America in 1784
Waldrop Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Waldrop settled in Indiana around 1891
Waldrop Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J. P. Waldrop, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1904
- C. P. Waldrop, who settled in America, in 1907
- Mrs. John P. Waldrop, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1909
- John P. Waldrop, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Mary E. Waldrop, aged 1, who settled in America, in 1910
Waldrop Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Waldrop was recorded in the 1871 census in Ontario
- William Waldrop, who was recorded in the 1871 census of Ontario
- Robert F. Waldrop (b. 1971), American former professional NFL football defensive tackle
- Howard Waldrop (b. 1946), American science fiction author
- Nancy A. Waldrop, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Virginia, 1980
- Mitchell Waldrop, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 16th District, 1930
- Joseph R. Waldrop (1825-1872), American politician, Member of Alabama State House of Representatives, 1869
- Ike Waldrop, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alaska, 1972
- Greg Waldrop, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Alabama, 2012
- Charles M. Waldrop, American Democrat politician, Member of Virginia State House of Delegates, 1950
- Ann Boyd Waldrop, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Alabama, 2012
- Rosmarie Waldrop (b. 1935), German-born, American poet, translator and publisher
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Waldrop Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waldrop Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2015 at 09:11.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!