Voshell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Voshell family
The surname Voshell was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Early History of the Voshell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Voshell research. Another 132 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1701, 1720, 1794, 1800, 1840, 1612, 1667, 1536, 1603, 1584, 1651, 1618, 1689, 1618, 1577, 1649 and 1629 are included under the topic Early Voshell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Voshell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vos, Vosch, Voshol, Voss, Vosse, Vossem, Fos, Föse, Foss, Fossa and many more.
Early Notables of the Voshell family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Jan Jansz Vos (1612-1667), a Dutch playwright and poet; and Marten de Vos (c.1536-1603) and Cornelis de Vos (1584-1651) were noted Flemish painters of that era.
Isaac Vossius (1618-1689), was Canon of Windsor, and scholar, born at Leyden in 1618, the seventh child...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Voshell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Voshell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Voshell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Voshell, who landed in Delaware in 1700 
Contemporary Notables of the name Voshell (post 1700) +
- Samuel S. Voshell, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for New York, 1908 
- Claude B. Voshell, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Delaware, 1940 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html