Vorster History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Vorster family
The surname Vorster was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Vorster family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vorster research. Another 54 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1543, 1504, 1543, 1595, 1675, 1624, 1666, 1676, 1643 and 1699 are included under the topic Early Vorster History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vorster Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Forsman, Vorsterman, Vorstermann, Vorstman, Vorstmann, Förster, Fuster, Feursman, Vorzmann, Voortmann, van Forsman and many more.
Early Notables of the Vorster family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Willem Vorsterman (died 1543), an early printer of books, active in Antwerp between 1504 and 1543. He published about 400 books in Dutch, Spanish, English, Latin, French and Danish, making him the second most productive printer in the Netherlands in the first half of the 16th century.
Lucas Vorsterman the Elder (1595-1675), was a Baroque engraver who worked with the artists Peter Paul Rubens and Anthony van Dyck, as well as for patrons...
Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vorster Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In South Africa, the name Vorster is the 260th most popular surname with an estimated 26,109 people with that name. 
Vorster migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vorster Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jurg Vorster, who landed in New York in 1709 
Vorster Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G. Vorster, who settled in Philadelphia in 1816
Contemporary Notables of the name Vorster (post 1700) +
- Emil "Teddy" Vorster (1910-1976), German racing driver and entrepreneur
- Julius Vorster (1809-1876), German chemist and entrepreneur, co-founder of Chemische Fabrik Kalk
- Pankraz Vorster (1753-1829), Italian-born, Swiss abbot, the last abbot of the Abbey of Saint Gall from 1796 to 1805
- Louis Vorster (1966-2012), South African-Namibian cricketer
- Harold William Vorster (b. 1993), South African rugby union player
- Balthazar Johannes "John" Vorster (1915-1983), South African politician, 4th State President of South Africa (1978-1979), 8th Prime Minister of South Africa (1966-1978)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/south-africa/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)