Early Origins of the Vorster family
The surname Vorster was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands
. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria
is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Vorster family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vorster research.Another 107 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vorster History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vorster Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Forsman, Vorsterman, Vorstermann, Vorstman, Vorstmann, Förster, Fuster, Feursman, Vorzmann, Voortmann, van Forsman and many more.
Early Notables of the Vorster family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Vorster Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Vorster family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vorster Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jurg Vorster, who landed in New York in 1709 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Vorster Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G. Vorster, who settled in Philadelphia in 1816
Contemporary Notables of the name Vorster (post 1700)
- Emil "Teddy" Vorster (1910-1976), German racing driver and entrepreneur
- Julius Vorster (1809-1876), German chemist and entrepreneur, co-founder of Chemische Fabrik Kalk
- Pankraz Vorster (1753-1829), Italian-born, Swiss abbot, the last abbot of the Abbey of Saint Gall from 1796 to 1805
- Louis Vorster (1966-2012), South African-Namibian cricketer
- Harold William Vorster (b. 1993), South African rugby union player
- Balthazar Johannes "John" Vorster (1915-1983), South African politician, 4th State President of South Africa (1978-1979), 8th Prime Minister of South Africa (1966-1978)