Vorst History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Vorst family
The surname Vorst was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
The name is a "topographic name for someone who lived by a ford or crossing point, Middle Dutch voorde, or a habitational name from a place named with this word, for example Tervoort in North Brabant." 
Early History of the Vorst family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vorst research. Another 111 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1663, 1739, 1820, 1576, 1624, 1615 and 1690 are included under the topic Early Vorst History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vorst Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Voorst, Voorstad, Voorsteegh, Voort, Vorst, Vorstell, Vorstern, Vorstman and many more.
Early Notables of the Vorst family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vorst Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vorst migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vorst Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Vorst, who arrived in New Netherland in 1660
- Thomas Vorst, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1660 
Vorst Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elis Vorst, who settled in America in 1844
- Elis Vorst, who landed in America in 1844 
- Michel Vorst, who arrived in New York in 1857
Contemporary Notables of the name Vorst (post 1700) +
- John Van Vorst, American Democratic Party politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Hudson County, 1851-52, 1864-65, 1868; Candidate for Mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey, 1858 
- Cornelius Van Vorst, American politician, Mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey, 1860-62 
Related Stories +
- ^ Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html