on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Vollmer family come from? What is the Dutch Vollmer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vollmer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vollmer family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Volmer, Volmar, Vollmar, Volmerbeke, Volmerstein, Wolmer, Wollmer, Wollner and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vollmer research. Another 292 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1640 and 1790 are included under the topic Early Vollmer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Vollmer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vollmer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Vollmer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Johannes Vollmer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Michael Vollmer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
Vollmer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Vollmer, aged 31, arrived in St Louis, Missouri in 1840
- Fredericke Vollmer, aged 28, arrived in St Louis, Missouri in 1842
- Balth Hch Vollmer, aged 7, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1843
- Casp Hch Vollmer, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1843
- Heinrich Vollmer, aged 38, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1843
Vollmer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Christina Vollmer, aged 18, arrived in New York, NY in 1902
- Wilhelm Vollmer, aged 43, landed in New York, NY in 1902
- Wilhelmina Vollmer, aged 40, arrived in New York, NY in 1902
Vollmer Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Andriss Vollmer, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1751
- Andries Vollmer, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1751
Vollmer Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Elisabeth Vollmer, aged 18, landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Lula Vollmer (1895-1955), American playwright
- Dana Vollmer (b. 1987), American four-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer and four-time gold medalist World record holder
- Henry Vollmer (1867-1930), American attorney and politician, Mayor of Davenport, Iowa, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Iowa (1914-1915)
- Andrew Neill Vollmer, American lawyer, former Deputy General Counsel for the United States Securities and Exchange Commission
- Joan Vollmer (1923-1951), American author, member of the early Beat Generation, killed by her husband William S. Burroughs, during an apparent drunken William Tell misadventure
- Clyde Frederick Vollmer (1921-2006), nicknamed "Dutch the Clutch", an American Major League Baseball outfielder who played from 1942 to 1954
- August "Gus" Vollmer (1876-1955), American pioneer in criminal justice, the first police chief of Berkeley, California (1923-1924)
- Sebastian Georg Vollmer (b. 1984), German-born, American NFL football offensive tackle
- Tiffany Vollmer (b. 1974), American voice actress
- Judith Vollmer (b. 1951), American poet, editor and professor of English at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, recipient of the Brittingham Prize in Poetry in 1990
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Swierenga, Robert P. Compiler Dutch Emigrant to the United State, South Africa, South America and Southeast Asia 1835-1880 An Alphabetical Listing by Househould Heads and Independent Persons. Wilmington, DE: Scholary Resources, 1983. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Vollmer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vollmer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 November 2013 at 10:36.
on orders of $85 or more