Vilar History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The enchanting region of Bourgoigne was the historical homeland of the prominent surname Vilar. Vilar is a topographic surname, which is a type of hereditary surname. These were given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came.
Early Origins of the Vilar family
The surname Vilar was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where this family has been known to live from ancient times.
Early History of the Vilar family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vilar research. Another 181 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1030, 1653, and 1734 are included under the topic Early Vilar History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vilar Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Villars, Villar, Villart, Villare, Vilars, Vilart, Vilare, Villarts, Villares, Vilarts, Vilares, Villard, Villards, Villarte, Villarde, Villartes, Villardes, Vilarte, Vilarde, Vilartes, Vilardes, de Villars and many more.
Early Notables of the Vilar family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Vilar Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vilar migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vilar Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco Vilar, who settled in New Orleans in 1829
- Francisco Vilar, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829 
- Juan Vilar, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1830 
- Gerardo Vilar, aged 13, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1830 
- Pedro Vilar, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1873 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)