100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Italian, Spanish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vigliotti, Viglieti, Ghligliotti, Ghliglione, Vigliotto, Vigliotti, Biglietto and many more.
First found in Piedmont (Italian: Piemonte, Piedmontese and Occitan: Piemont), a territorial division of northern Italy at the foot of the Alps consisting of the provinces of Alessandria, Cuneo, Novara and Turin. Later Aosta and Vercelli were added and still later, Asti. History is related back to 49 B.C. The house of Savoy rose in 1000 A.D. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vigil research. Another 211 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1822, 1825, and 1840 are included under the topic Early Vigil History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Vigil Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vigil Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Vigil, who arrived in Havana, Cuba, from Santander, Spain, aboard the "Mozart," in 1852
- Juan Vigil, who arrived in Havana, Cuba from Gijon, Spain in 1858
- Gerardo Vigil, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1893
- Ferdinand Vigil, age 19, who arrived at Ellis Island New York from Havana in 1893, aboard the "Cuidad Condal"
- Gerardo Vigil, age 16, who arrived at Ellis Island New York in 1893 from Yucatan, Mexico
Vigil Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Julio Vigil, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1922
- Carol Jean Vigil (1946-2009), American judge based in the state of New Mexico
- Edward Vigil, legislator in the U.S. state of Colorado
- Juan N. Vigil, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from New Mexico, 1928; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Mexico, 1944
- John Vigil, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1980
- John Vigil, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1972
- J. U. Vigil, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1908
- Diane Vigil, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996
- Charles S. Vigil, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Colorado 4th District, 1988
- Charles S. Vigil, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Colorado, 1951-53
- Robert E. Vigil, American Democrat politician, New Mexico State Auditor, 1991-
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today, 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-0900455-209).
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
The Vigil Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vigil Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 November 2015 at 10:34.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!