100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, German
The Vick surname is a Frisian cognate of the name Frederick, which is derived from the Germanic personal name, composed of "fred" or "peace" and "ric" or "power."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vick, de Vick, Vicq, Fick, Feck, Fecke, Fedde, Feddema, Feddercke and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vick research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vick History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 20 words (1 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vick Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Vick, who arrived in Barbados in 1685
Vick Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Vick, who came to New York in 1812
- Samuel Vick, age 19, who came to New York in 1812
- Samuel Vick, aged 19, landed in New York in 1812
- Charles Vick, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1835
- Charles Vick, who came to Allegany County, Pennsylvania in 1835
Vick Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Vick arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Eliza Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- George Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- John Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1843
- John Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Imaum of Muscat" in 1843
- S. H. Vick, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1904
- M. R. Vick, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from North Carolina 2nd District, 1924
- Kyle Vick, American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State Senate, 1950
- Tom Vick, American politician, Mayor of Weatherford, Texas, 1982-86
- Walker W. Vick, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1916
- Walter W. Vick, American Democrat politician, Member, Committee on Permanent Organization, Democratic National Convention, 1916
- Kathleen M. Vick, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Louisiana, 1988, 1996, 2000
- J. W. Vick, American politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Johnston County, 1895-96
- George W. Vick, American Democrat politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from McDowell County; Elected 1938
- George P. Vick, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 39th District, 1895-96, 1901-02
- Reverend Newit Vick, Founder of Vicksburg, Mississippi by James Morris Perrin.
- The Vick Family, 1880-1983 by James Bailey Parker.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
The Vick Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vick Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 November 2015 at 08:34.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!