100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Vick family come from? What is the German Vick family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vick family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vick family history?The Vick surname is a Frisian cognate of the name Frederick, which is derived from the Germanic personal name, composed of "fred" or "peace" and "ric" or "power."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vick, de Vick, Vicq, Fick, Feck, Fecke, Fedde, Feddema, Feddercke and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vick research. Another 146 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vick History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 20 words(1 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vick Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Vick, who arrived in Barbados in 1685
Vick Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Vick, who came to New York in 1812
- Samuel Vick, age 19, who came to New York in 1812
- Samuel Vick, aged 19, landed in New York in 1812
- Charles Vick, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1835
- Charles Vick, who came to Allegany County, Pennsylvania in 1835
Vick Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Vick arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Eliza Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- George Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- John Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1843
- John Vick arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Imaum of Muscat" in 1843
- John Vick (b. 1961), American poet
- Michael Vick (b. 1980), American NFL football player
- Rod Vick (b. 1955), American author, teacher
- James Vick (1818-1882), English horticulturalist, publisher and businessman
- Richard Vick (b. 1948), British poet, teacher
- Sir Godfrey Russell Vick (1892-1958), English lawyer and judge
- Reverend Newit Vick, Founder of Vicksburg, Mississippi by James Morris Perrin.
- The Vick Family, 1880-1983 by James Bailey Parker.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Vick Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vick Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 July 2012 at 13:46.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!