Verwey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Verwey family
The surname Verwey was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Verwey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Verwey research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1585, 1650, 1625, 1689, 1651, 1656, 1655, 1717 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Verwey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Verwey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Verwey, Verwel, Verwer, Verwers, Varver, Varwery, Ferey, Ferfey and many more.
Early Notables of the Verwey family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Abraham de Verwer (1585-1650), a Dutch Golden Age painter from Haarlem, known for his seascapes; and his son and pupil, Justus de Verwer (c.1625-1689), a Dutch painter and illustrator who produced primarily marine...
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Verwey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Verwey migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Verwey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Cornelis Cornelisz Verwey, who landed in New York in 1657 
- Hendrick Gerritse VerWey, who arrived in New York in 1664 
- Martina Hendricks Verwey, who landed in New Jersey in 1684 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Verwey (post 1700) ||+|
- Tobias Verwey (b. 1981), Namibian cricketer
- Frank Robert "Bobby" Verwey (b. 1941), South African professional golfer, best known for winning the Senior British Open Championship in 1991 and for being the brother-in-law of golf legend Gary Player
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)