Origins Available: Italian
The distinguished surname Vassallo has roots in Spain
, and is classified as being of occupational
origin. It can be said that the most ancient and most interesting of surnames are those derived from the occupation
of the original bearer. "Vasallo" has its roots in the Celtic word "vassallos" that came into the Italian and Castilian languages by way of the Latin "vassallus," meaning "vassal." The word Vasallo, and therefore the family surname Vassallo, is defined as "he who receives benefits or honor of a Lord, such as lands, money, or the condition of Knighthood, in exchange for important services that had been given to him."
Early Origins of the Vassallo family
The surname Vassallo was first found in the ancient kingdom of Castile
. However, the surname Vassallo also has its origins in Italy, in the city of Genoa. Nonetheless, the family surname Vassallo was probably introduced to Castile
in the eleventh and twelfth centuries.
Early History of the Vassallo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vassallo research.Another 345 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1827 and 1885 are included under the topic Early Vassallo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vassallo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Vassallo, Vassailo, Vazalo, Vasallos and others.
Early Notables of the Vassallo family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos nombres de familias se han destacado, por... Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vassallo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Vassallo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vassallo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Rosa Vassallo who sailed settled in Pennsylvania in 1901
- Angela Vassallo, aged 8, who emigrated to the United States from Palermo, Italy, in 1906
- Andrea Vassallo, aged 33, who landed in America from Butera, Sicily, in 1907
- Alberto Vassallo, aged 31, who landed in America from Turin, Piedmont, in 1907
- Angelo Vassallo, aged 30, who landed in America from Polizze, Sicily, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Vassallo (post 1700)
- Joseph Vassallo (b. 1964), American actor
- John F. Vassallo Jr., American Republican politician, Candidate for New Jersey State House of Assembly 7th District, 1975 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Salvador Vassallo (1968-1988), Puerto Rican swimmer at the 1988 Summer Olympics
- Salvador "Chiry" Vassallo (1942-2007), Puerto Rican businessman, President and CEO of Vassallo Industries
- Nicla Vassallo (b. 1963), Italian philosopher and writer
- Jesse Vassallo (b. 1961), Puerto Rican four-time gold medalist swimmer
- Harry Vassallo, Maltese politician
- Gustavo Vassallo (1920-1960), Argentine fencer at the 1960 Summer Olympics
- Gustavo Vassallo (b. 1978), Peruvian footballer
- Gan Anton Vassallo (1817-1868), Maltese writer, poet and academic
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)