on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Vargas family come from? What is the Spanish Vargas family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vargas family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vargas family history?The original bearer of the name Vargas, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The name Vargas is a topographical name that was originally derived from the Spanish word varga, which is a dialectical word used in the northern part of the Iberian Peninsula for hut, slope or a fenced pasture land which becomes waterlogged in winter.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vargas, Varga and others.
First found in Cantabria, in north-central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vargas research. Another 147 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1606, 1656, 1643, 1704, 1691, 1697, 1697 and 1703 are included under the topic Early Vargas History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 217 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vargas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Juan de Vargas Pizarro, who traveled with Alvarado, and accompanied Pizarro to Peru
- Bernardo de Vargas Machuca, who wrote a memoir about his military exploits in the Americas
- Fabián Vargas, who emigrated to Peru in 1560
- María Vargas, to Hispaniola in 1562
- Juan Vargas, to Peru in 1563
Vargas Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Diego Vargas Zapata, Governor and Captain-General of New Mexico during the latter part of the seventeenth century
Vargas Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hernando De Vargas, who landed in America in 1811
- Llorente De Vargas, who arrived in America in 1812
- Agustin De Vargas, who arrived in America in 1812
- Cristobal De Vargas, who landed in America in 1812
- Martin De Vargas, who landed in America in 1814
- Elizabeth Vargas (b. 1962), American television journalist
- Juan C. Vargas (b. 1961), former member of the California State Assembly
- Emiliano Chamorro Vargas (1871-1966), former President of Nicaragua
- Alberto Vargas (1896-1982), noted Peruvian painter of pin-up girls
- Getulio Dornelles Vargas (1883-1954), Brazilian rancher/lawyer/politician
- Pedro Vargas Mata (1906-1989), Mexican singer and actor
- Valentina Vargas (b. 1964), Chilean-born French actress
- Gabriel Vargas (1915-2010), Mexican painter, artist and cartoonist
- Jacob Vargas (b. 1971), Mexican actor
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
The Vargas Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vargas Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2014 at 14:16.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more