on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Vargas family come from? What is the Spanish Vargas family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vargas family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vargas family history?The original bearer of the name Vargas, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The name Vargas is a topographical name that was originally derived from the Spanish word varga, which is a dialectical word used in the northern part of the Iberian Peninsula for hut, slope or a fenced pasture land which becomes waterlogged in winter.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vargas, Varga and others.
First found in Cantabria, in north-central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vargas research. Another 147 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1606, 1656, 1643, 1704, 1691, 1697, 1697 and 1703 are included under the topic Early Vargas History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 217 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vargas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Juan de Vargas Pizarro, who traveled with Alvarado, and accompanied Pizarro to Peru
- Bernardo de Vargas Machuca, who wrote a memoir about his military exploits in the Americas
- Fabián Vargas, who emigrated to Peru in 1560
- María Vargas, to Hispaniola in 1562
- Juan Vargas, to Peru in 1563
Vargas Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Diego Vargas Zapata, Governor and Captain-General of New Mexico during the latter part of the seventeenth century
Vargas Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hernando De Vargas, who landed in America in 1811
- Llorente De Vargas, who arrived in America in 1812
- Agustin De Vargas, who arrived in America in 1812
- Cristobal De Vargas, who landed in America in 1812
- Martin De Vargas, who landed in America in 1814
- Juan C. Vargas (b. 1961), former member of the California State Assembly
- Oscar F. Vargas, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Arizona State Senate 18th District 1998
- Juan Vargas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004
- Heriberto Vargas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1988, 1996, 2000 (alternate)
- Grace Vargas, American politician, Mayor of Rialto, California; Elected 2008
- Francisca D. Vargas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988
- Carol Vargas, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Delaware, 1996
- Bolgen Vargas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1996, 2000
- Blanca Vargas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 2004
- April Vargas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004, 2008
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
The Vargas Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vargas Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 10:47.
on orders of $85 or more