100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Vanvalkenburg family come from? What is the Dutch Vanvalkenburg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vanvalkenburg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vanvalkenburg family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Valkenburg, Valkenburch, Valkendaal, Valkenstein, Volkenburg and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vanvalkenburg research. Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1693, 1773, 1778, 1872, 1675 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Vanvalkenburg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vanvalkenburg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vanvalkenburg Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Lambert Jochemse VanValkenburg, who settled in New Netherland sometime between 1620 and 1664
- Lambert Jochemse VanValkenburg, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
Vanvalkenburg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. VanValkenburg, who settled in San Francisco in 1852
- S. VanValkenburg, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- Marinus Vanvalkenburg, who settled in America in 1870
- Klaas Vanvalkenburg, who arrived in America in 1873
- Willem Vanvalkenburg, who came to America in 1873
- Robert Bruce Van Valkenburg (1821-1888), American politician, U.S. Representative from New York, and an officer in the Union Army during the American Civil War
- Eric Van Valkenburg (1954-1995), American actor, known for Easy Money (1983), Stardust Memories (1980) and The Fan (1981)
- Richard Jeptha Van Valkenburg (1823-1912), American Civil War veteran and Episcopal reverend, one of the founding pioneers of northern Colorado
- Professor Samuel Van Valkenburg, American Director of the School of Geography at Clark University, eponym of Mount Van Valkenburg, Antarctica
- Wade Van Valkenburg (1899-1985), American politician and jurist, 54th Speaker of the Michigan House of Representatives (1953-1956), Member of the Michigan House of Representatives (1947-1956), Judge for Michigan's 9th Circuit (1965-1967)
- Pete Van Valkenburg (b. 1950), American former NFL running back who played from 1973 to 1974
- Mac Elwyn Van Valkenburg (1921-1997), American electrical engineer, Professor at the University of Illinois from 1955-1966, Professor and head of electrical engineering at Princeton University, IEEE Education Medal (1972), ASEE George Westinghouse Award (1963)
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Vanvalkenburg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vanvalkenburg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 August 2015 at 08:14.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!