on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Vansickle family come from? What is the Dutch Vansickle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vansickle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vansickle family history?The surname Vansickle is derived from the Old Dutch word for a sickle. This name was either a topographic name for someone who lived on a sickle shaped piece of land, or was an occupational name for a person who used a sickle.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sickel, VanSickel, Sickle, Van Sickle, Van Sickele, Vansickle and many more.
First found in Ghent, the Flemish Region of Belgium.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vansickle research. Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vansickle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vansickle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Vansickle, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- R VanSickle, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Vansickle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Abraham I Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Francis Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Martin Vansickle, who arrived in Canada in 1841
- Peter Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Wm C Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Ruth VanSickle (1897-1989), American painter, art teacher, and owner of the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts
- Frederick L. Van Sickle (b. 1943), United States federal judge, Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington (1991-2008)
- Bruce Marion Van Sickle (1917-2007), United States federal judge
- Chad Van Sickle (b. 1977), American heavyweight boxer, former NABA Cruiserweight Champion
- Clyde Van Sickle (1907-1995), American NFL guard who played from 1930 to 1933
- Hank Van Sickle (b. 1961), American electric and upright bassist, best known for the blues rock band The Bluesbreakers
- Neil David Van Sickle (b. 1915), retired American Air Force major general who was the deputy inspector general at Headquarters, United States Air Force, Washington, D.C
- Jan Van Sickle, American actor, known for his work on Broken Fences (2008), Love & Teleportation (2013) and Flashback (1990)
- Craig W. Van Sickle, American Primetime Emmy Award nominated writer, known for his work on The Pretender (1996), Ski Patrol (1990) and The Pretender 2001 (2001)
- Grattan, Thomas Colley. Holdan The History of the Netherlands. Charleston, SC: Biblio Bazaar LLC, 2007. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
The Vansickle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vansickle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 May 2015 at 08:17.
on orders of $85 or more