on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Vansickle is derived from the Old Dutch word for a sickle. This name was either a topographic name for someone who lived on a sickle shaped piece of land, or was an occupational
name for a person who used a sickle.
The surname Vansickle was first found in Ghent, the Flemish
Region of Belgium.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sickel, VanSickel, Sickle, Van Sickle, Van Sickele, Vansickle and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vansickle research. Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vansickle History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vansickle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Vansickle, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- R VanSickle, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Vansickle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Isaac Vansickle U.E. who settled in Fredericksburgh [Greater Napanee], Ontario c. 1784 CITATION[CLOSE]
Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
Vansickle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Abraham I Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Francis Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Martin Vansickle, who arrived in Canada in 1841
- Peter Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- William C Vansickle, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Craig W. Van Sickle, American Primetime Emmy Award nominated writer, known for his work on The Pretender (1996), Ski Patrol (1990) and The Pretender 2001 (2001)
- Jan Van Sickle, American actor, known for his work on Broken Fences (2008), Love & Teleportation (2013) and Flashback (1990)
- Neil David Van Sickle (b. 1915), retired American Air Force major general who was the deputy inspector general at Headquarters, United States Air Force, Washington, D.C
- Hank Van Sickle (b. 1961), American electric and upright bassist, best known for the blues rock band The Bluesbreakers
- Clyde Van Sickle (1907-1995), American NFL guard who played from 1930 to 1933
- Chad Van Sickle (b. 1977), American heavyweight boxer, former NABA Cruiserweight Champion
- Bruce Marion Van Sickle (1917-2007), United States federal judge
- Frederick L. Van Sickle (b. 1943), United States federal judge, Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington (1991-2008)
- Ruth VanSickle (1897-1989), American painter, art teacher, and owner of the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts
- David VanSickle, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Preston County, 1925-26
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- De Amicis, Edmondo and Helen Zimmern. Holland. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1894. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
The Vansickle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vansickle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 June 2016 at 15:32.
on orders of $85 or more