on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Vanmeter family come from? What is the Dutch Vanmeter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vanmeter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vanmeter family history?
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vanmeter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Stephen Yerkes Van Meter, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1905
- S.S. van Meter, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1909
- Effuci Ada Van Meter, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1909
- Seymour van Meter, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Virginia van Meter, aged 17, who emigrated to America, in 1912
- Thomas A. Van Meter (1943-1992), American politician, Member of the Ohio Senate (1973-1982)
- Solomon Lee Van Meter Jr. (1888-1937), American inventor, famous for inventing the first successful backpack parachute; he also invented the ejection seat but was never credited for it
- Jennifer "Jen" Van Meter, American comic book writer best known for her Oni Press series Hopeless Savages and for her work with DC and Marvel Comics
- Homer Van Meter (1905-1934), American infamous criminal and bank robber, an associate of John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson
- Edwin Van Meter Champion (1890-1976), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois (1937-1939)
- Daniel Van Meter (1913-2000), American eccentric, best known for his Tower of Wooden Pallets at 15357 Magnolia Boulevard, Sherman Oaks, California which became a cultural historic monument
- Victoria Louise "Vicki" Van Meter (1982-2008), American aviatrix, best known for setting several youngest-pilot distance-flying records at age of 11; she tragically committed suicide at the age of 26
- John Vanmeter, American politician, Mayor of Portsmouth, Ohio, 1857-58; resigned 1858
- James Vanmeter, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Salem County, 1847
- C. L. VanMeter, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Paducah, Kentucky, 1916
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Swierenga, Robert P. Compiler Dutch Emigrant to the United State, South Africa, South America and Southeast Asia 1835-1880 An Alphabetical Listing by Househould Heads and Independent Persons. Wilmington, DE: Scholary Resources, 1983. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Vanmeter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vanmeter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2015 at 11:32.
on orders of $85 or more