on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Vanhorne family come from? What is the Dutch Vanhorne family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vanhorne family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vanhorne family history?The Dutch surname Vanhorne is a habitational name, taken on from any of numerous places in the Netherlands, so named. The Dutch word "hoorn," means a "point," or "‘nook;’ the prefix "Van" denotes "one who came from."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Horn, Hoorn, Van Horn, Van Hoorn, Van Horne, Van den Horn and many more.
First found in the region between the North Sea, Germany and Belgium, that we now call the Netherlands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vanhorne research. Another 41 words(3 lines of text) covering the years 1156, 1136, 1150, 1156, 1518, 1568, 1635, 1683, 1653, 1711, 1704 and 1709 are included under the topic Early Vanhorne History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 163 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vanhorne Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Christian Barentsen Van Horn, who came to New York City in 1653, Jan Cornelissen Van Horn, who arrived in New Netherlands some time between 1620 and 1664, Ernest Van Horn, who came to Mississippi in 1893, and Richard Van Horn, who came to San Francisco in 1856..
- Archibald Van Horne (1758-1817), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Maryland (1807-1811)
- Dave Van Horne, American Major League Baseball announcer, recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award in 2011
- Espy Van Horne (1795-1829), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1825-1829)
- Harriet Van Horne (1920-1998), American newspaper columnist and film/television critic
- Isaac Van Horne (1754-1834), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1801-1803) and (1803-1805) Adjutant General of Ohio (1810–1811) and (1812-1818)
- Keith Van Horne (b. 1957), American college and NFL professional football player for the Chicago Bears who played from 1981 to 1993
- Randy Van Horne (1924-2007), American singer and musician, founder of the Randy Van Horne Singers who performed the theme songs for the Hanna-Barbera cartoons The Flintstones, Top Cat, The Jetsons, and The Huckleberry Hound Show
- Robert Van Horne (b. 1948), American composer and concert pianist, recipient of the MTAC Composer Today awards in 1998 and 2010
- Terry E. Van Horne (1946-2012), American politician, Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives (1981-2000)
- Sir William Cornelius Van Horne KCMG (1843-1915), American President of Canadian Pacific Railway in 1888, inducted into the North America Railway Hall of Fame in 1999
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
The Vanhorne Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vanhorne Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 March 2015 at 17:01.
on orders of $85 or more