100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Vanderveen surname is derived from the Dutch word "Veen," which means "fen" or "Peatbog," which is the most common geographical feature of the northern provinces of the Netherlands. Many instances of the surname are thought to be habitational, deriving from any of various places named with this word. The preposition "van" meaning "of" or "from" ' is commonly found with Dutch names, especially with habitation names. The preposition "de," meaning "the," is also commonly used with these names.
Spelling variations of this family name include: vander Veen, van Veen, Van den ven, Van de Ven, van der Veen, van der Feen, Vanderveen, VanderVeen, Veenstra and many more.
First found in the Netherlands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vanderveen research. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1639 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Vanderveen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vanderveen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vanderveen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Vanderveen, aged 20, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Wm VanderVeen, aged 20, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Egbertus Vanderveen, age 19, who arrived at the Port of New York on July 16, 1847, aboard the "Snelherd"
- Herman Vanderveen, who arrived at New York August 7, 1845, aboard the "Angelique"
- Anna Vanderveen, aged 21, who arrived in New York city in 1847
- Theodore F. Vander Veen, American politician, Democrat Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Kent County 1st District, 1916
- Marion Vanderveen, American politician, Democrat Presidential Elector for Michigan, 2012
- Claude VanderVeen, American politician, Republican Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1928
- Barb VanderVeen (b. 1949), American politician, Republican Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 2004
- Richard Franklin Vander Veen (1922-2006), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Michigan (1974-1977)
- Marion Vanderveen, American Democrat politician, Presidential Elector for Michigan, 2012
- James S. VanderVeen, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 16th District, 1930
- Claude VanderVeen, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1928
- Barb VanderVeen (b. 1949), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 2004
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Grattan, Thomas Colley. Holdan The History of the Netherlands. Charleston, SC: Biblio Bazaar LLC, 2007. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Vanderveen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vanderveen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 09:35.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!