on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch-Alt
The surname Vandenberg comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands
any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
The surname Vandenberg was first found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandenberg research. Another 214 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1709, 1748, 1755, 1799, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Vandenberg History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandenberg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vandenberg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Aaltje VanDenBerg, aged 36, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Aart VandenBerg, aged 39, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Cornelis VanDenBerg, aged 45, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Jakoba Knaap VandenBerg, aged 42, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- L VanDenBerg, aged 31, landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Harold Harris "Hy" Vandenberg (1906-1994), American Major League Baseball player
- James Vandenberg (b. 1989), American football player
- John Roland Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 14th District, 1950
- John R. Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1952
- John E. VandenBerg, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 17th District, 1948
- John Vandenberg, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Wayne County 1st District, 1866-67
- Edward Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives from Shiawassee District, 1948; Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 15th District, 1950
- Cassandra Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 2008
- Arthur Hendrick Vandenberg (1884-1951), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan Republican State Central Committee, 1912-18; U.S. Senator from Michigan, 1928-51
- Louis Vandenberg, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 44th District, 2002, 2004
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
The Vandenberg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vandenberg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2016 at 13:05.
on orders of $85 or more