on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch-Alt, Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Vandenberg family come from? What is the Dutch Vandenberg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vandenberg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vandenberg family history?The surname Vandenberg comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
First found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandenberg research. Another 214 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1709, 1748, 1755, 1799, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Vandenberg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandenberg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vandenberg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Aaltje VanDenBerg, aged 36, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Aart VandenBerg, aged 39, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Cornelis VanDenBerg, aged 45, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Jakoba Knaap VandenBerg, aged 42, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- L VanDenBerg, aged 31, landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Harold Harris "Hy" Vandenberg (1906-1994), American Major League Baseball player
- James Vandenberg (b. 1989), American football player
- John Roland Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 14th District, 1950
- John R. Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1952
- John E. VandenBerg, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 17th District, 1948
- John Vandenberg, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Wayne County 1st District, 1866-67
- Edward Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives from Shiawassee District, 1948; Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 15th District, 1950
- Cassandra Vandenberg, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 2008
- Arthur Hendrick Vandenberg (1884-1951), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan Republican State Central Committee, 1912-18; U.S. Senator from Michigan, 1928-51
- Louis Vandenberg, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 44th District, 2002, 2004
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Bayerisch Stammenbuch von den alten abgestorbenen Fuerten. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Vandenberg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vandenberg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2016 at 13:05.
on orders of $85 or more