on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The distinguished surname Vandegrift was first found in Switzerland.
The surname Vandegrift was first found in Switzerland
, where the family contributed to the development of the region. They became prominent in local
affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graf, Grafe,Graef, Graff, Graffen, Graffin, Grafen, Grafin, Grav, Graaf and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandegrift research. Another 243 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1769, 1807, 1485, 1527, 1599, 1664, 1611, 1678, 1671, 1719, 1841, 1826, 1815 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Vandegrift History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 167 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandegrift Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Philip Leonhardt Graf, who, with his wife and five children, came to America in 1709. He was bearers of the name Graf to emigrate to the New World. Georg Graf arrived in Pennsylvania between 1743-1746.
- William B. Vandegrift, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1928
- William Vandegrift, American politician, Member of Delaware State House of Representatives from New Castle County, 1824
- W. A. Vandegrift, American politician, Mayor of Pomona, California, 1914
- Guy W. Vandegrift, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1940
- C. S. Vandegrift Jr., American Democrat politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 10th District, 1883-86
- Major General Alexander Archer Vandegrift (1887-1973), American marine who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Vandegrift Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vandegrift Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 09:29.
on orders of $85 or more