Vandegrift History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Vandegrift was first found in Switzerland.
Early Origins of the Vandegrift family
The surname Vandegrift was first found in Switzerland, where the family contributed to the development of the region. They became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
Early History of the Vandegrift family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandegrift research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1769, 1807, 1485, 1527, 1599, 1664, 1611, 1678, 1671, 1719, 1841, 1826, 1815 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Vandegrift History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vandegrift Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graf, Grafe,Graef, Graff, Graffen, Graffin, Grafen, Grafin, Grav, Graaf and many more.
Early Notables of the Vandegrift family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the surname Vandegrift were Urs Graf (1485-1527), Swiss engraver and goldsmith, influenced by Albrecht Duerer; Cornelis de Graeff (1599-1664), Mayor of Amsterdam; Free Imperial Knight Andries de Graeff (1611-1678), Mayor of Amsterdam; Cornelis de Graeff (1671-1719), Dutch Canon of St. Pieter at...
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandegrift Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Vandegrift is the 16,694th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Vandegrift family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Philip Leonhardt Graf, who, with his wife and five children, came to America in 1709. He was bearers of the name Graf to emigrate to the New World. Georg Graf arrived in Pennsylvania between 1743-1746.
Contemporary Notables of the name Vandegrift (post 1700) +
- Major General Alexander Archer Vandegrift (1887-1973), American marine who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross 
- William B. Vandegrift, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1928 
- William Vandegrift, American politician, Member of Delaware State House of Representatives from New Castle County, 1824 
- W. A. Vandegrift, American politician, Mayor of Pomona, California, 1914 
- Guy W. Vandegrift, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1940 
- C. S. Vandegrift Jr., American Democratic Party politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 10th District, 1883-86 
Related Stories +