on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Belgium, Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Van Dyke family come from? What is the Dutch Van Dyke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Van Dyke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Van Dyke family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
First found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Dyke research. More information is included under the topic Early Van Dyke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Dyke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Dyke Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Thomasse VanDyke, who landed in New York, NY in 1652
- Thomasse Janse VanDyke, who arrived in New York in 1652
- Frans Clausen VanDyke, who settled in New York in 1655
- Claes VanDyke, who came to New York, NY in 1662
- Claes VanDyke, who landed in New York, NY in 1662
Van Dyke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hagen VanDyke, aged 10, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Barteld J. VanDyke, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Barteld J VanDyke, aged 43, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Maria VanDyke, aged 46, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Marinnus VanDyke, aged 42, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Richard Wayne "Dick" Van Dyke (b. 1925), American five-time Emmy Award and Grammy Award winning actor and comedian, best remembered for his role in The Dick Van Dyke Show, inducted into the Television Hall of Fame in 1995 and awarded the SAG Life Achievement Award in 2013
- Jerry Van Dyke (b. 1931), American comedian and actor, brother of "Dick" who made frequent guest appearances on the Dick Van Dyke Show
- Woodbridge Strong "Woody" Van Dyke (1889-1943), American film director, known for his work on Tarzan the Ape Man in 1932, The Thin Man in 1934 and San Francisco in 1936
- Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933), American clergyman, author and educator
- Earl Van Dyke (1930-1992), American musician, keyboardist for Motown Records
- Leroy Frank Van Dyke (b. 1929), American country music singer, best known for his hits "The Auctioneer" (1956) and "Walk On By" (1961)
- Nicholas Van Dyke (1738-1789), American lawyer and politician, President of Delaware (1783-1786)
- Nicholas Van Dyke (1770-1826), American lawyer and politician, United States Senator from Delaware (1817-1826)
- Barry Van Dyke (b. 1951), American actor and the second son of actor and entertainer, Dick Van Dyke
- Charlie Van Dyke (b. 1947), born Charles Leo Steinle, American former radio disc jockey
- Van Dyke: Over Three Hundred Years of One Line by E.F. Baty.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Grattan, Thomas Colley. Holdan The History of the Netherlands. Charleston, SC: Biblio Bazaar LLC, 2007. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
The Van Dyke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Van Dyke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 March 2015 at 11:06.
on orders of $85 or more