on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Belgium, Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Van Dyke family come from? What is the Dutch Van Dyke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Van Dyke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Van Dyke family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
First found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Dyke research. More information is included under the topic Early Van Dyke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Dyke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Dyke Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Thomasse VanDyke, who landed in New York, NY in 1652
- Thomasse Janse VanDyke, who arrived in New York in 1652
- Frans Clausen VanDyke, who settled in New York in 1655
- Claes VanDyke, who came to New York, NY in 1662
- Claes VanDyke, who landed in New York, NY in 1662
Van Dyke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hagen VanDyke, aged 10, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Barteld J. VanDyke, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Barteld J VanDyke, aged 43, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Maria VanDyke, aged 46, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Marinnus VanDyke, aged 42, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Ryan Van Dyke (b. 1980), former American football quarterback who played from 2002 to 2006
- John Wesley Van Dyke (1849-1939), American president of the Atlantic Refining Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from 1911 until 1927
- Phillip Van Dyke (b. 1984), American actor, best known for his role as the goblin Luke in the first two of the Halloweentown movie series
- Charlie Van Dyke (b. 1947), born Charles Leo Steinle, American former radio disc jockey
- Barry Van Dyke (b. 1951), American actor and the second son of actor and entertainer, Dick Van Dyke
- Woodbridge Strong "Woody" Van Dyke (1889-1943), American film director, known for his work on Tarzan the Ape Man in 1932, The Thin Man in 1934 and San Francisco in 1936
- Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933), American clergyman, author and educator
- Richard Wayne "Dick" Van Dyke (b. 1925), American five-time Emmy Award and Grammy Award winning actor and comedian, best remembered for his role in The Dick Van Dyke Show, inducted into the Television Hall of Fame in 1995 and awarded the SAG Life Achievement Award in 2013
- Nicholas Van Dyke (1770-1826), American lawyer and politician, United States Senator from Delaware (1817-1826)
- Nicholas Van Dyke (1738-1789), American lawyer and politician, President of Delaware (1783-1786)
- Van Dyke: Over Three Hundred Years of One Line by E.F. Baty.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Van Dyke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Van Dyke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 January 2016 at 15:27.
on orders of $85 or more