Van Dyk History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Van Dyk family
The surname Van Dyk was first found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
Important Dates for the Van Dyk family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Dyk research. More information is included under the topic Early Van Dyk History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Dyk Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Dyk family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Floris van Dyck (c.1575-c.1651), a Dutch Golden Age still life painter; Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Flemish Baroque artist who...
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Dyk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Dyk migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Van Dyk Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Van Dyk Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Willemina VanDyk, aged 35, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1846 
- Teunis VanDyk, aged 14, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847 
- Elizabeth VanDyk, aged 7, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847 
- Aaltje VanDyk, aged 44, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847 
- Hendrik VanDyk, aged 4, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Dyk (post 1700)
- Joost van Dyk (1600-1630), Dutch privateer
- Walter van Dyk (b. 1961), British singer and composer
- Irene van Dyk MNZM (b. 1972), South African-born, New Zealand four-time goild medalist athlete, one of the world's best-known netball players
- Ernst Van Dyk (b. 1973), South African wheelchair athlete at the 2000 Summer Paralympics
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)